pc won't power up

Mar 7, 2018
Why is my pc not powering up when press the power button . It was working a few days ago but when I went to plug the power cable in both fans spin for half a second but the led light stays on but when I try the power button on front of the case

Solution
Either broken psu or a short of some sort.
Remove all hardware not needed to boot into bios, even hdd, and remove all cables from the motherboard not needed to turn on, incl all fans exept cpu cooler.
Now use a paper clip (careful) to "shorten" the 2 pins the would connect to the power button on the case.
If it boots, its a short/ground problem, if it doesn't its most likely the psu.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Either broken psu or a short of some sort.
Remove all hardware not needed to boot into bios, even hdd, and remove all cables from the motherboard not needed to turn on, incl all fans exept cpu cooler.
Now use a paper clip (careful) to "shorten" the 2 pins the would connect to the power button on the case.
If it boots, its a short/ground problem, if it doesn't its most likely the psu.

Solution

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Please post some more details about your setup. Electrical problems can be a bear to diagnose.

I had a similar problem long ago that was the result of a broken soldier joint on the motherboard. As soon as you turned on the computer, the joint heated up, expanded, and the electrical connection was broken, shutting everything off.

There's also the slight possibility your outlet is on a circuit breaker that is tripping as soon as you put too big of a load on it. Or perhaps your PC is suddenly drawing too much power (a short?) that is tripping the circuit breaker? Is anything else plugged into the outlet? If so, does it stay on when the PC goes off?

If you've verified your PSU is good (even a PSU that appears to be working can shut off when put under a load), next I'd try a different outlet (preferably in another room.)

If it isn't the outlet and isn't the PSU, then it is the MoBo (or something plugged into it incorrectly.)

More info needed.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
sorry, but utter BS.

if nothing was changed on the system or the room, its either a short or the psu, very small chance its cpu/board, which i've seen less than 5 times in 15y (fixing computers).

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I'm not sure what you are reporting as "utter BS", since the two possibilities I suggested were "a short or the psu".

I DID say "slight" chance it's the circuit breaker... or was that not clear?

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
without any changes or anything like power outage brown out etc, BEFORE it stopped working (as far as we know nothing like that happened, or he/she would have posted it), its the computer.

how can the pc draw more power than before, especially when nothing changed.

circuit breakers are either closed or open, and gets triggered in the same second you push the power button and nothing would (try) to power on, if the leds turn on/pc tries to power up, it is closed and power on the outlet, and we can exclude it 100%.

the post clearly says the pc won't power on, so why ask if it stays on?

how are you going to verify a psu is good/bad?
do you have the equipment?
i doubt the poster has, or we wouldn't see that question in the first place.

and again, no need to change the outlet. if anything on the pc "lights up", there is power on the outlet, and using another one will make no difference.

TRENDING THREADS