PC won't recognise USB2 ports

I have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. IT is said to have USB 2 ports,
but whenever I plug in my USB2 dvd RW drive, I get a message telling me it
will function much better in a USB 2 port!

Eventually I bought a new PCI card with USB2 ports and tried that. I still
got the same messages. What am I doing wrong?

Mike

How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support.
The Keyword is Enhanced.

Open the Device Manager...
Start | Run | Type: devmgmt.msc | Click OK |
Click on [+] Universal Serial Bus controllers |

If your Device Manager shows an ENHANCED USB Host Controller, the system has
High Speed USB (USB 2.0) capability.

The key word is ENHANCED. If you have an ENHANCED USB Host Controller then
you have High Speed USB (USB 2.0)

All other types are USB v.1.1

How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

The difference between v.1.0 and v.1.1 is explained here...

USB Hardware 1.0 vs 1.1 Host Controller Issue Explained
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/USB_version1.0_version1.1.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Ok7B81xfFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
MIcrosoft News Server <m.j.odonn*nospam*ell@btinternet.com> hunted and
pecked:

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:48:18 +0100, MIcrosoft News Server wrote:

> I have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. IT is said to have USB 2 ports,
> but whenever I plug in my USB2 dvd RW drive, I get a message telling me it
> will function much better in a USB 2 port!
>
> Eventually I bought a new PCI card with USB2 ports and tried that. I still
> got the same messages. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Mike

What version of XP do you have installed? SP1 or higher supports USB 2
without adding drivers.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have fully up-to-date SP2

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:48:18 +0100, MIcrosoft News Server wrote:
>
>> I have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. IT is said to have USB 2 ports,
>> but whenever I plug in my USB2 dvd RW drive, I get a message telling me
>> it
>> will function much better in a USB 2 port!
>>
>> Eventually I bought a new PCI card with USB2 ports and tried that. I
>> still
>> got the same messages. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Mike
>
> What version of XP do you have installed? SP1 or higher supports USB 2
> without adding drivers.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

It shows that I have an enhanced host controller. When I unplug all other
usb devices my usb2 drive seems to work fine on usb2. If I just have one
other usb1 device connected it seems to slow all the ports down. Is that
possible?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
> How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support.
> The Keyword is Enhanced.
>
> Open the Device Manager...
> Start | Run | Type: devmgmt.msc | Click OK |
> Click on [+] Universal Serial Bus controllers |
>
> If your Device Manager shows an ENHANCED USB Host Controller, the system
> has
> High Speed USB (USB 2.0) capability.
>
> The key word is ENHANCED. If you have an ENHANCED USB Host Controller
> then
> you have High Speed USB (USB 2.0)
>
> All other types are USB v.1.1
>
> How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
>
> The difference between v.1.0 and v.1.1 is explained here...
>
> USB Hardware 1.0 vs 1.1 Host Controller Issue Explained
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/USB_version1.0_version1.1.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:Ok7B81xfFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> MIcrosoft News Server <m.j.odonn*nospam*ell@btinternet.com> hunted and
> pecked:
>> I have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. IT is said to have USB 2 ports,
>> but whenever I plug in my USB2 dvd RW drive, I get a message telling me
>> it
>> will function much better in a USB 2 port!
>>
>> Eventually I bought a new PCI card with USB2 ports and tried that. I
>> still got the same messages. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Mike

Mike

Splendid

By the way.. I have just noticed my signature... I'm Mike lol
"MIcrosoft News Server" <m.j.odonn*nospam*ell@btinternet.com> wrote in
message news:ujXl8%235fFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...