[SOLVED] PC won't start after power outage

Aug 4, 2019
Hi, I had this problem 2 times more. After an power outage or if I switch off the power switch in my house, my pc won't boot at all. I checked the psu and it's working, tried to deplete it out off electricity, still nothing, tried taking out battery, still nothing. Last times it came by itself after 2 days or smth. I am desperate, I need it to work on it... Thank you!

BTW I am using a desktop.

Solution
my friend's psu and still not working
What PSU was this exactly?

VS Series is Corsairs lowest line, presumably though this is the grey label version (newer)?

So sounds like you have started what I would do - breadboard the system, take everything out, including removing the MB from the case and just try booting with the MB, CPU, CPU Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM and see if you get any progress - you will likely also want to do this without the case front panel connected and just short the power switch.

If that doesn't work at all and you've verified everything is connected correctly, it is probably the motherboard, but LIKELY due to your PSU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model (not just wattage) :)
How did you test the PSU? If it's just via a paperclip method for example, it's usually not thorough enough to ensure it's working correctly, simply just shows it can start up outside of the system.

Aug 4, 2019
I have
I7 7700k
MSI Gt 1060
Corsair 16gb 3000mhz
Ssd Kingston 250 gb
MB z270 a-pro
Psu corsair VS650w

I did test with paper clip, and while did that, I tested out all the outputs with a voltmeter and it was looking right. Still I burrowed my friend's psu and still not working. Today I took it apart piece by piece and tried to start it and nothing. I suspect the mb it's here to blame.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
my friend's psu and still not working

VS Series is Corsairs lowest line, presumably though this is the grey label version (newer)?

So sounds like you have started what I would do - breadboard the system, take everything out, including removing the MB from the case and just try booting with the MB, CPU, CPU Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM and see if you get any progress - you will likely also want to do this without the case front panel connected and just short the power switch.

If that doesn't work at all and you've verified everything is connected correctly, it is probably the motherboard, but LIKELY due to your PSU.

Solution
Aug 4, 2019

The Psu is fine, I checked it with multimeter and all outputs give exactly the value needed. Anyway I already ordered new mb, I will let you know how it went. Thx for help anyway

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Psu is fine, I checked it with multimeter and all outputs give exactly the value needed
Unfortunately the multimeter test does not guarantee it is working either, as it only checks voltages at little/no load. Whereas most faulty PSUs will begin to fault under load. However all I was stating is that being as the VS is a low line, its perfectly possible the surge causes the PSU to allow damage to occur to the rest of your system.

Let us know how it goes my friend :)

Aug 4, 2019
Unfortunately the multimeter test does not guarantee it is working either, as it only checks voltages at little/no load. Whereas most faulty PSUs will begin to fault under load. However all I was stating is that being as the VS is a low line, its perfectly possible the surge causes the PSU to allow damage to occur to the rest of your system.

Let us know how it goes my friend :)
You are perfectly right, didn't thought of that, still I checked with another PSU and same results, that's why I am almost certain is the mobo

Reactions: PC Tailor