Question PC won't start while GPU is plugged in ?

saint666

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
Hi

My PC was working perfectly fine for the past few years including significant gaming without pushing CPU or GPU to their limit...

While online gaming the PC suddenly the PC shut down and it wont restart .. after re-plugging the PSU and pushing the on switch.. you get a click and RGB on GPU will turn on then immediately go.. and nothing happens except for the RAM RGB lights (on)

So I unplugged the GPU (by removing the cables) and the system turns on fine.. So i tried to reset the CMOS by using the screw driver but I'm not sure if that did anything .. and i cant see the battery on the motherboard as the

I dont think its the PSU cos the PC has been working fine for years.. im wondering if there is anything else im missing .. or is the GPU has had it ?

PC specs:
CPU
: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked 8G
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try another graphics card, only way of knowing if it is graphics card or power supply. Shutdowns of that nature in this scenario can point to either. I'd suspect the graphics card but the psu is hardly pushed without a graphics card and psus do become less efficient over time.

If another graphics card, of similar power draw, operates fine then you can rule out power supply. If you can't source parts from someone you know then a PC shop should be your next destination. No point trying to clear cmos as power issues has nothing to do with that.