[SOLVED] PC Wont Startup after changing boot sequence.

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
I recently factory reset my pc and then cloned my windows from my hard drive to my ssd. After that I shut down my pc but it would automatically startup so I turned off fast start up and I was finally able to shut down my pc. After that I went into the bios, changed the boot sequence so that I could make my ssd the first one and then I got a message saying there was no operating system found. I went back to the bios and changed it back to how it was originally but it still gave me the same message. What is wrong?

Solution
If you had just factory reset it, why the clone to the SSD?
Presumably there is nothing on there except the bare OS, and maybe drivers?

I would just do a fresh install on the SSD.
Mar 24, 2021
The system has to be installed through a bootable device or disk to your hard drive, copy&paste wont work. Your only option is to reinstall it on your new SSD.
Just download it from msft website to create a installation disk, since your old system is in the same pc you dont need to worry about the serial number, it will verify for you.

How did you make the clone?

If you cloned only the OS partition, then there's your problem. The HDD has the bootloader which tells the computer where the OS is. However, the bootloader is also unaware of the clone on the SSD, so having the computer look at the HDD will only have it boot from the HDD.

You either have to clone the entire HDD in this case, or create a bootloader on the SSD and have it point to the SSD's OS partition.

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
How did you make the clone?

If you cloned only the OS partition, then there's your problem. The HDD has the bootloader which tells the computer where the OS is. However, the bootloader is also unaware of the clone on the SSD, so having the computer look at the HDD will only have it boot from the HDD.

You either have to clone the entire HDD in this case, or create a bootloader on the SSD and have it point to the SSD's OS partition.
I just factory reset my pc so the only thing on my pc prior to the clone was windows. I used AOEMI Backupper and did a disk clone from my hdd to my ssd.

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
Try powering down and removing the disk you cloned FROM.

If that doesn't work...I'm thinking clean install.

It actually should boot from either drive....but sometimes I've had strange things happen with two boot drives connected.
Just tried disconnecting hdd and booting and didnt work. Also tried disconnecting ssd with only hdd connected and still no boot.

USAFRet

Titan
Just tried disconnecting hdd and booting and didnt work. Also tried disconnecting ssd with only hdd connected and still no boot.
With ONLY the original HDD connected, exactly what happens when you boot up?
What error messages do you see?

For future reference, the very first thing that you do after the clone process is power off, disconnect the old drive, and allow trhe system to boot up with only the new one connected.
This is not optional.

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
With ONLY the original HDD connected, exactly what happens when you boot up?
What error messages do you see?

For future reference, the very first thing that you do after the clone process is power off, disconnect the old drive, and allow trhe system to boot up with only the new one connected.
This is not optional.
With only the hard drive connected this is what I see when I bootup. I see a Dell Optiplex 390 splash screen and then a flashing underscore in the top left and then a screen that says "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart".

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019

I am most likely going to do this eventually once I get my hands on a flash drive. Just wanting to check every option before I go that route.