OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
So I built this PC myself a few years back. Probably like 3 or 4. Anyway, I go to turn it on after work and there's a small pop, like a short or blown cap or something and it won't power at all. I opened it up and can't find any noticible damage to any of the capa. Where do I start troubleshooting this mofo?

i5 6500k
Asus z170 deluxe Mobo
970 GTX
EVGA 750 GQ

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
if you cannot see any bad caps or damage on the motherboard or mobo for short, try swapping the PSU.
in a case like this the paperclip trick is useful.
https://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick
if you cannot turn on the PSU in this way. you need a new one.

I replaced the PSU with a cooler master MWE750. Now my Mobo has power at least which is more than before. I did the paperclip trick and got nothing from the EVGA PSU. But now my power button on my case isn't working. I tried to do the screwdriver jumper bypass for the power but it didn't work for me? Any ideas? TYIA

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the fear now is that when the PSU went it took parts with it. depending on where the pop happened it could be confined to the PSU or it could have been passes on to everything connected.
now its testing each part with known good units until you find where the damage ends.
step 1 was stable power.

OBTA13

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
the fear now is that when the PSU went it took parts with it. depending on where the pop happened it could be confined to the PSU or it could have been passes on to everything connected.
now its testing each part with known good units until you find where the damage ends.
step 1 was stable power.

What should I start with specifically? This is pretty daunting and depressing

TRENDING THREADS