Question PC wont turn on with gpu inside it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
My pc suddenly turned off the other day, and wouldnt boot. I took out my gpu and the pc boted up, put it back in and it wouldnt boot.

I dont have another pc to test it in or another GPU.

The PSU seems fine, the fans spin and it powers the mobo when the gpu is not in.

Is there a way to check if my gpu is dead?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
The only reliable test on a PSU is to hook up a spare good PSU and see if it works.
I don't have an avaliable high wattage PSU.

nd68rL5.png

I was looking at the page for the MSI 1080, and it says 'extra', does this mean it's not needed? Because this is the port causing the shortage

Yes, those are the PCI/PEG cables. VGA1-4 are for graphics cards. Sorry for the confusion. Usually they are called PCI, PCI-E or PEG like seen here:

Corsair_PSU_Professional_RMi_Series_Modular_Connector_%28Full_Set_14pcs%29__96280_zoom.png

Not suprising that EVGA calls them VGA, and I should have known that since they are one of my preferred brands for power supplies and graphics cards, since their name literally reads e-VGA, and that was actually originally the way their name was spelled with a small e and then VGA.

You have MORE than enough capacity with that unit. Your graphics card only needs a good 520w unit, but it hurts nothing to have the extra overhead. That is a terrific unit and while any unit can be faulty, unless yours is quite old it is very unlikely in this case. The G2 units are high quality. Better than 90% of what else is out there in fact. Any of the better models (And there are some pretty questionable ones from all these companies as well) from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic or Antec are good choices, and are generally reliable. Obviously though, anything is possible and getting a lemon is always a distinct possibility, but it's a lot more likely to be a problem with your graphics card or motherboard than it is to be that power supply if it is less than three years old.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Yes, those are the PCI/PEG cables. VGA1-4 are for graphics cards. Sorry for the confusion. Usually they are called PCI, PCI-E or PEG like seen here:

Corsair_PSU_Professional_RMi_Series_Modular_Connector_%28Full_Set_14pcs%29__96280_zoom.png

Not suprising that EVGA calls them VGA, and I should have known that since they are one of my preferred brands for power supplies and graphics cards, since their name literally reads e-VGA, and that was actually originally the way their name was spelled with a small e and then VGA.

You have MORE than enough capacity with that unit. Your graphics card only needs a good 520w unit, but it hurts nothing to have the extra overhead. That is a terrific unit and while any unit can be faulty, unless yours is quite old it is very unlikely in this case. The G2 units are high quality. Better than 90% of what else is out there in fact. Any of the better models (And there are some pretty questionable ones from all these companies as well) from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic or Antec are good choices, and are generally reliable. Obviously though, anything is possible and getting a lemon is always a distinct possibility, but it's a lot more likely to be a problem with your graphics card or motherboard than it is to be that power supply if it is less than three years old.
I'm guessing my best bet would to send the GPU off to MSI's repair/rma team in Poland. After a quick google, it's clear they don't have the best reputation, but I really don't have a choice :confused_old: .

Appreciate the response.

EVGA and Zotac, for the EU region, have much better customer support and RMA process than MSI. MSI however USUALLY is fairly good about getting things done. While there are a number of concerns I have regarding quality control on their motherboards, their graphics cards and support for them is generally quite good. I don't know about in your region though, only in the US and UK.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
EVGA and Zotac, for the EU region, have much better customer support and RMA process than MSI. MSI however USUALLY is fairly good about getting things done. While there are a number of concerns I have regarding quality control on their motherboards, their graphics cards and support for them is generally quite good. I don't know about in your region though, only in the US and UK.
Hey, I sent off my GPU a couple days ago to MSI.

However, another issue has come up. My 4TB WDD hard drive started crashing my file explorer whenever I would access files inside of it. After restarting, the pc kept reatarting over and over with the attempting to fix hard disk message. After a while I turned it back on and my HDD was not found in the bios, and would cause the pc to not turn on because of it. I resintalled Windows, however the issue persisted so I decided to try the hard drive in another computer, and it was shown in the bios.

I have tried changing sata cables around and multiple different things however the hard drive wont show in bios or windows.

Do you think my GPU and this are linked? Like its something to do with my motherboard or PSU?

Have you tried connecting the HDD to a different SATA header on the motherboard? WHICH SATA header is it currently connected to?

Yes, it could definitely be a motherboard issue, but again it's hard to say sometimes without getting the same result consistently or without throwing parts at the problem sometimes.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Have you tried connecting the HDD to a different SATA header on the motherboard? WHICH SATA header is it currently connected to?

Yes, it could definitely be a motherboard issue, but again it's hard to say sometimes without getting the same result consistently or without throwing parts at the problem sometimes.
I have tried quite a few of the sata ports on the motherboard, neither have worked. Like i said, it worked first try in the other pc

What would you do?

Last edited: