Question PC won't turn on without resetting PS wire

chris.weii

Prominent
Jul 7, 2022
My problem is after my third power cycle, my PC won't turn on when I press the power button. I have to open my case up and unplug the power button cable from the motherboard and replug it. After that my PC turns on and works, but then same problem after third cycle. I'm not sure what to do. I have a feeling it's a motherboard problem because I swapped it out with a different board and never had this problem.

My case has a reset button, not sure if that's relevant. I haven't found anyone who's gone through my situation or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I have a generic NAS case my dad got some twenty odd years ago. I used it to put together a PC:
  • Windows 10
  • HP mATX LGA 1156
  • RX 560
  • Intel Core i7-860
  • Two WD Blue SATA Drives: 2.5" 500 GB SSD & 3.5" 1TB HDD
  • Two DVD drives (cuz why not)
  • PCIe Wi-Fi card
  • 8 GB RAM (4x 2GB) DDR3
  • 480 W PSU
  • PC fans here and there (4-pin molex)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

480 W PSU
480W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Considering this is a prebuilt, might want to read the sticker on the case that designates it's model and SKU.

The issue you've described could be a grounding issue, if you have to take the side panel off and then replug the front panel connector. Do you get a mild tingling sensation when touching any metal part of the case while your feet are making contact with the floor(sans carpet or a wooden titled floor)?

chris.weii

Prominent
Jul 7, 2022
Logisys Corps. 480W 20 + 4 Pin Dual Fan ATX PSU. Bought it new off Amazon two weeks or so ago.

This PC isn't pre-built. It's more like spare parts noted above I had at home and just put something together. I don't think I have any of that information handy.

No, that's assuming I still have the power cable plugged into the PSU. I typically make sure all power is killed before I do anything with hardware.