Question PC won't turn on

BenB123

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Unplugged/re-plugged power after waiting several seconds. Took homebuilt PC into a local pc guy and he said Power supply EVGA Supernova G2 750 wasn't sufficient to support my system. Thing is, it's done fine for 2yrs+. He says since I'm running a gtx 1080 (for 2yrs) it needs at least 850w and I could even get 1000w. He also mentions that power protector may need to be replaced b/c it degrades each power surge--is this true? I have a Rocketfish, the lights/indicators don't denote anything negative and other peripherals are powered just fine.

So I buy an EVGA 1000 G3 Supernova. When testing it before install, I also test the 750 and it works as soon as I flip off the eco switch (don't think pc guy did this since he said it was fried and bricked).

I install the EVGA 1000 and when I press the power it begins to start up, fan going but then the power connector to the graphics card begins to smoke!! I pull power right away. I so hope the Vcard isn't fried.

I reinstall the 750 with the eco button off and the system (fan) barely lurches but no ignition.

What gives?

Is the 1000 too much? Should I have gone for 850?

FYI--don't know if it makes a difference but I used the existing 750 connectors on the 1000 not bothering to rewire the whole thing.

PC Specs:
WIN 10
CPU: Intel i5 6600k standard BIOS overclocking button selected
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-500GB-M.2 SATA III Internal SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold and 1000 G3 Gold
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Window ATX

Thank you in advance.

-BB

Agreed. That tech is wrong. Don't go back there if they are giving you crap information like that. Your PSU (The 750w G2), unless something is actually "wrong" with it, is sufficient for ANY single graphics card that exists, minus maybe one or two older cards like the R9 295 X2 or something similar.

Your 1080 meets capacity requirements with any good quality 520w or higher unit.

Did you just build this system, or was it running fine before? Sounds to me like you are either using the WRONG cables for the graphics card (There are more than one type of 8 pin connector on modern power supplies, the wrong cables (Cables need to stay with the unit they came with, you can't be using cables from different systems with different power supplies unless they are within the same series and family. G2 cables do not, I believe, work with G3 units and have a different pinout).

So, if there wasn't damage before, there MIGHT be now. Or, you could have used the EPS 4+4 (8 pin) instead of an actual 8 pin or 6+2 PCI/PEG, or something else might not be plugged in correctly. I'd strip it ALL down, outside the case (To make sure there is not a screw or standoff in the wrong location shorting something out) and start over.

BenB123

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Agreed. That tech is wrong. Don't go back there if they are giving you crap information like that. Your PSU (The 750w G2), unless something is actually "wrong" with it, is sufficient for ANY single graphics card that exists, minus maybe one or two older cards like the R9 295 X2 or something similar.

Your 1080 meets capacity requirements with any good quality 520w or higher unit.

Did you just build this system, or was it running fine before? Sounds to me like you are either using the WRONG cables for the graphics card (There are more than one type of 8 pin connector on modern power supplies, the wrong cables (Cables need to stay with the unit they came with, you can't be using cables from different systems with different power supplies unless they are within the same series and family. G2 cables do not, I believe, work with G3 units and have a different pinout).

So, if there wasn't damage before, there MIGHT be now. Or, you could have used the EPS 4+4 (8 pin) instead of an actual 8 pin or 6+2 PCI/PEG, or something else might not be plugged in correctly. I'd strip it ALL down, outside the case (To make sure there is not a screw or standoff in the wrong location shorting something out) and start over.

It's the same system I built in Summer of 2016 and it was running no problem until yesterday when it wouldn't start. So the cables from the graphics card to the PSU were the same, unmolested on the vcard end and reinserted on the PSU end.

Thanks for the advice. I"ll try to dig down further.

BenB123

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
The reason you saw smoke was because the cables are not the same between the two power suppies:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-ck-1300-b9
The smoke came when I used the AC cable that were meant (came along) with the corresponding PSU but I did NOT swap the actual G2 for G3 cables. You are saying, as the poster before, that G2 cables are NOT compatible with the G3 PSU therefore there was smoke?

What this wouldn't explain is why the original 750 won't/wouldn't power the system all of a sudden. That was the original issue and the smoke may have been caused by my troubleshooting efforts.

The smoke came when I used the AC cable that were meant (came along) with the corresponding PSU but I did NOT swap the actual G2 for G3 cables. You are saying, as the poster before, that G2 cables are NOT compatible with the G3 PSU therefore there was smoke?

What this wouldn't explain is why the original 750 won't/wouldn't power the system all of a sudden. That was the original issue and the smoke may have been caused by my troubleshooting efforts.
The reason your computer didn't initially start may not be the same reason why it isn't starting now. Do you get any lights on the motherboard?

Yes, the G2 cables are NOT compatible with the G3, so whatever problem you had before, is probably less important than the problem you have now, which is very possibly that your motherboard and graphics card, and possibly other hardware, may be ruined. I'm not even sure what to tell you at this point aside from bench test using the correct cables with each PSU , and by cables, I mean the ones that go from the PSU to your hardware, not from the PSU to the wall. PSU to the wall makes no difference whatsoever which cables you use as long as the plugs are right at both ends and rated for the type of voltage grid you are plugging into.

The other cables, that go to the motherboard and graphics card and storage devices, matter A LOT.

Reactions: BenB123