[SOLVED] PC works fine on esport titles but not on AAA games/Benchmarks

Jun 26, 2020
I can play League of Legends, CS:GO, Crossfire without running into an issue. Using HWMonitor I can see my GPU is using 1.087volt, 40W, 1226Mhz, 1750vram.

However, when I try to play other games like, The Surge, Codevein, Chaosbane, or run heaven benchmark my PC would shutdown completely even though it's only using 1.03volt, 21w, 1113Mhz, 1750vram.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?
Specs: i5 4570, XFX RX 470, 16GB RAM, Asrock h81m, 600W PSU,

Solution
Wow! thanks for pointing that out. You'd think 600W would give 600W.

I've now ordered a Thermaltake Litepower 650W, not so sure if it's a good choice but it's the only thing available I can get my hands to right now.
Maybe Litepower 650W can give headroom even when I upgrade

0WM42I5.jpg

Actually, it's a pretty awful PSU, just not quite as awful.

Incidentally, the first awful PSU isn't actually 200W. Gamenadez, please learn to read a power supply chart if you're going to comment on these; you're conflating +12V power with +3.3V and +5V power. The 200W limit is for the +3.3V and 5V rails combined. That PSU doesn't have 600W of +12V power available, but it's not 200 either. Precision is important if...
May 14, 2020
I can play League of Legends, CS:GO, Crossfire without running into an issue. Using HWMonitor I can see my GPU is using 1.087volt, 40W, 1226Mhz, 1750vram.

However, when I try to play other games like, The Surge, Codevein, Chaosbane, or run heaven benchmark my PC would shutdown completely even though it's only using 1.03volt, 21w, 1113Mhz, 1750vram.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?
Specs: i5 4570, XFX RX 470, 16GB RAM, Asrock h81m, 600W PSU,
how about the temps? theres usually 2 reasons why a pc would shut down during heavy load. its either temps or power issues

Jun 26, 2020
how about the temps? theres usually 2 reasons why a pc would shut down during heavy load. its either temps or power issues

Neither of my CPU/GPU went over 50c, I do have GPU-Z logs but don't know how to upload it.

make and model of the 600w psu?

what the cpu usage?

It's a Lumen CT-600. Came as bundle with the pc.

I couldn't really see what the cpu usage during heaven benchmark but I ran IntelBurnTest on the CPU and didn't crash.

May 14, 2020
Neither of my CPU/GPU went over 50c, I do have GPU-Z logs but don't know how to upload it.

It's a Lumen CT-600. Came as bundle with the pc.

I couldn't really see what the cpu usage during heaven benchmark but I ran IntelBurnTest on the CPU and didn't crash.
the psu is a bit sketchy, by the looks of it it doesnt have 80+ rating

you said from stress test on the cpu it doesnt crash so the culprit is most likely the gpu, when you stress test it, does it say anything about power throttling?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While junky PSUs don't typically cause performance issues directly like this, my inclination would be to remove that from the mix first by upgrading. One of the problems with a dodgy, off-brand PSU is that even when they appear to be functional, as soon as there's a difficult-to-diagnose issue, it's a giant complicating factor when isolating problems.

Jun 26, 2020
the psu is a bit sketchy, by the looks of it it doesnt have 80+ rating

you said from stress test on the cpu it doesnt crash so the culprit is most likely the gpu, when you stress test it, does it say anything about power throttling?

None, It just said, PASS. And maintained 3.4Ghz boost.

While junky PSUs don't typically cause performance issues directly like this, my inclination would be to remove that from the mix first by upgrading. One of the problems with a dodgy, off-brand PSU is that even when they appear to be functional, as soon as there's a difficult-to-diagnose issue, it's a giant complicating factor when isolating problems.

I did underclock my GPU 1000Mhz, 1000mV and heaven benchmark, The Surge worked fine.

But I can play DOTA2 at 1300Mhz, 1175mV with no issue.

EDIT: After a reboot, 1000Mhz, 1000mV no longer works for heaven and the surge. But 1300, 1175 on DOTA2 still works.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
n play esport games, because they have low power usage consumption..

I've now ordered a Thermaltake Litepower 650W, not so sure if it's a good choice but it's the only thing available I can get my hands to right now.

0WM42I5.jpg

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

0WM42I5.jpg

Incidentally, the first awful PSU isn't actually 200W. Gamenadez, please learn to read a power supply chart if you're going to comment on these; you're conflating +12V power with +3.3V and +5V power. The 200W limit is for the +3.3V and 5V rails combined. That PSU doesn't have 600W of +12V power available, but it's not 200 either. Precision is important if you're going to be answering questions like this.

This is not a 650W either in any modern sense. I certainly wouldn't use it with an upgrade. If you're unfamiliar with what makes a power quality supply -- and from the use of the first one, that is the case -- it's prudent to actually ask before you shell out money on something.

Solution
Jun 26, 2020

Incidentally, the first awful PSU isn't actually 200W. Gamenadez, please learn to read a power supply chart if you're going to comment on these; you're conflating +12V power with +3.3V and +5V power. The 200W limit is for the +3.3V and 5V rails combined. That PSU doesn't have 600W of +12V power available, but it's not 200 either. Precision is important if you're going to be answering questions like this.

This is not a 650W either in any modern sense. I certainly wouldn't use it with an upgrade. If you're unfamiliar with what makes a power quality supply -- and from the use of the first one, that is the case -- it's prudent to actually ask before you shell out money on something.

What exactly should I be looking for when buying PSU? 'Cause I've only been looking at Max output current, Max output power, and cables when I ordered that Thermaltake PSU.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

0WM42I5.jpg

that just fine. when your buying a PSU. the most thing you need to look at is the +12v @ Amp. You multiply that to get the watts and you get output power. 12v * 44amp = 528Watts.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What exactly should I be looking for when buying PSU? 'Cause I've only been looking at Max output current, Max output power, and cables when I ordered that Thermaltake PSU.

Tier lists aren't perfectly, but they give you a starting point.

https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

If the 12V times the amps isn't close to the total output, you're almost invariably dealing with an extremely old, group-regulated PSU which you should avoid with modern hardware. Efficiency ratings aren't quality ratings, but these days, it's extremely rare for a quality PSU to have an efficiency rating below Bronze; a Bronze PSU or even a Gold one aren't necessarily good PSUs, but one that is below those ratings is nearly always a bad one.

And anything with a voltage switch, run away.

The Litepower is better than your current one, but it's a way costed down unit, made by Solytech, and full of cheap, cutrate parts. Thermaltake has a well-deserved poor reputation until you get to the good side of their product line (the modern MWE Golds are OK, the Toughpowers are generally legitimately good).

Usually, the Corsair CX 450/550 will be the least expensive PSUs worth buying.

Jun 26, 2020
Tier lists aren't perfectly, but they give you a starting point.

https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

If the 12V times the amps isn't close to the total output, you're almost invariably dealing with an extremely old, group-regulated PSU which you should avoid with modern hardware. Efficiency ratings aren't quality ratings, but these days, it's extremely rare for a quality PSU to have an efficiency rating below Bronze; a Bronze PSU or even a Gold one aren't necessarily good PSUs, but one that is below those ratings is nearly always a bad one.

And anything with a voltage switch, run away.

The Litepower is better than your current one, but it's a way costed down unit, made by Solytech, and full of cheap, cutrate parts. Thermaltake has a well-deserved poor reputation until you get to the good side of their product line (the modern MWE Golds are OK, the Toughpowers are generally legitimately good).

Usually, the Corsair CX 450/550 will be the least expensive PSUs worth buying.

So, I guess I could use PSU Calculator to get an idea of what wattage to aim for on buying a new PSU. Use the hierarchy, to get an idea of which brands/models have good "parts", then sort by price depending on 12V x Amps, to see how close they are to the total output, and consider the cables I need.

Is that a good starting off point when choosing a PSU?

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
So, I guess I could use PSU Calculator to get an idea of what wattage to aim for on buying a new PSU. Use the hierarchy, to get an idea of which brands/models have good "parts", then sort by price depending on 12V x Amps, to see how close they are to the total output, and consider the cables I need.

Is that a good starting off point when choosing a PSU?
Ye that the good starting point.. different country have different brand of psu..example when i was in philippines, i dont see corsair,evga,seasonic,thermaltake,cooler master psu brand in shopping mall. But those brand psu can be purchase through online market (it take 2-3 weeks to get them).