PCI-e 16x card no fit in PCI-e 1x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Thanks Chookman, you're my hero :)

I had two problems:

1) wanted to hook up an extra monitor @ work but didn't like the prices of PCIe X1 or PCI graphics cards

2) want to drop an 8400GS into my old HTPC for the h.264 acceleration but it's only got one PCIe x1 slot.

I've now got my third monitor @ work and it's running sweetly off an ATI x300 in the hacked x1 slot, tonight i'll get to see if the x1 bandwidth limits the ability of the 8400GS to decode 1080i Freeview in h.264.

You've saved me a lot of frustration either way! Cheers.

rsmith

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Update:

I bought and installed an ASUS 8400GS last night (G98). It worked perfectly :)

We get 1080i HDTV encoded in h.264 @ ~10Mbit/s in New Zealand. My main system (Pentium D 805 @ 3.6Ghz + 8800GTX) would consume ~50-60% of the CPU to decode that. The 1.6Ghz sempron + 8400GS used only 10-13%.

I bet you have helped MANY people just surfing the net and finding this or links to it.

if i ever need to run a 2nd video card can you guess what i am going to do? :p

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Hey guys, i was looking around for reviews of the 650w TRIO from antec for someone on another thread to prove that they are good (same one i use in my rig) Still i have the crackly sound as described. After reading this review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=1 on jonny i found this comment to be interesting. "Apparently, this PSU gives off some sort of RF interference at higher loads. I went back and performed all of the tests a second time with a pair of Compu-Nurse thermometers."

Is it possible i have discounted the PSU to early as the main offender? I have even gone back to the onboard sound now thinking it was the X-fi and there is crackling on it as well that i hadnt noticed before... so the question is ... is it giving off RF interference and would it be enough to cause my sound issues?

traycerb

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
sorry to zombify this dead thread, but chookman's hacking inspired me to up the ante.

My issue was I only had 1 pci-e x16 slot, and wanted to add a 3rd monitor (well, a HTPC projector) and the dual outputs on the radeon 3850 were already full.

Couldn't use a PCI card, because no PCI-based Radeon had drivers recent enough to coexist with the 3850. Wouldn't use a PCI-e x1 b/c they're >$100. Could have bought a new mobo, but it was going to be a hassle to research, then sell the current one. Actually bought an old PCI NVIDIA card, but it arrived broken from ebay, and then I stumbled across this thread.

So I bought a radeon x16 card for <$15 on ebay (2 generations newer and half the cost as the Nvidia card!).

First problem: Didn't occur to me that the size of the card would be an issue. I found only one of the 3 PCI-e x1 slots could possibly work. One was covered by the dual slot fan, the other the memory was in the way. So I dremeled down the remaining x1 slot and tried to fit the card in.

(sorry for the blurry-cam pics)

moto_0097b.jpg

Next problem: See the gold-color heat sink? It's for the Intel southbridge. It was in the way. So I bent the spines and tried again. Next problem: see the Cmos battery, just below the HSF? It was raised just slightly too high so the board wouldn't fit. So I took a huge chance: since the offending part of the board were the unused x16 pins, I brought out the dremel again. 15 minutes later:

moto_0098.jpg

The offending bits:

moto_0095.jpg

Made sure there were no shorts at the cut surface and put electrical tape on them:

moto_0099.jpg

Fits nicely:

moto_0100.jpg

Success:

moto_0096.jpg

GPU-Z confirms it:

pci-eexpress3800gpu-z2-1.png

Hey ATI/NVIDIA: if you'd make a reasonably-priced x1 board it would be a huge success. It would be useful for HTPC, useful for old cpus needing a boost, extra monitors etc. Give it a go.

G

Interesting. I should add to the story that (before I found this thread) I did a similar mod to my Gigabyte M57SLI-S4; I dremeled away the edge of my 1x connectors. However, when I put a 16x card into them, the card just wasn't recognized at all. It's as if it weren't there at all.

I've noticed that this board doesn't support PCIe hotplugging either. Maybe it's buggy?

nigelndj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks, ill try it out, hopefully it will work fine.

nigelndj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
hey, ill add another testimonial, it worked, although i accidentally burnt the slot abit with my iron, the card still fitted and im enjoying my game. Sims 3 runs smoothly but not on highest performance. L4D also rune very well. Thanks guys. Cheers god bless.

Tyrst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Question: a customer of mine is looking to put a vid card in his micro pc. It only has a 1x slot taken up by a 56k modem. the 16x slot that was obviously included on the motherboard from the manufacturer was removed by the vendor for some asinine reason. He wants to play WoW on it. Will this "upgrade" be better than the onboard video? If so, it will solve alot of problems.

Tyrst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
well, he went ahead and wasted the 140$ on a pci 1x card that gives him barely more playability than he had before, so the question now becomes moot. if only he had not been so impetuous, his problem would have been solved for a mere $30, but then, impatience hits us all at times

tritstyle

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

yeah i ordered one of them x1 to x16 adapters and an x16 card. if i can find a soldering iron im going to get my 20 quid back. Im a programmer not hardware guy but after trying for 2 months to figure out why my PCI card wouldnt run on xp 64, im anxious to get my third monitor running.

The PCI card was getting a Standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge error code 10. Could anyone confirm for me if this is because the PCI slot is 32 bit so it will not run on a 64 bit computer? If so im going to be really heated with the support of this crap in a box off the shelf unit. Not mentioning any names but I might run this mod and then send them a photo asking if this voids the warranty on my 50 day old computer :ouch: :non: , because they were adamant that I could not run triple monitors on this computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.