Question pci e line for z390

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi
I have a z390 tomahawk, a 9600k, and a sata ssd.
I would like to upgrade with an m.2 ssd, probably a samsung 970evo or 980 pro.
The question is, my config support x16 for the gpu and the x4 for the ssd? I ve seen mobo, cpu and chipset specs and all say differents things.
msi say that can support 3 x16 line and 2 x1, intel say the cpu support 16 lines while still intel say z390 support 24 line(limited to the cpu) with the config 1x16 or 2x8 or 1x8+2x4.
So what does mean for me? can I plug 1 x4 m.2 without impact on gpu lines?
my knowledge was that the total lines were cpu lines + chipset lines but chipset lines were slower then the cpu ones, and was intel themself with an article saying that

There are 2 categories, CPU PCIE lines and chipset PCIE lines, in the chipset you may have 24 lines (slower then the cpu ones) , dont know the exact number but most of them are used by USB sata and other conectivity features. Yes you have some dedicated m.2 slot which will not affect your videocard. Usually the m.2 slots are wired into the chipset lanes, storage is not so sensible to high latency compared with gpu.

Reactions: LORYT699

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
There are 2 categories, CPU PCIE lines and chipset PCIE lines, in the chipset you may have 24 lines (slower then the cpu ones) , dont know the exact number but most of them are used by USB sata and other conectivity features. Yes you have some dedicated m.2 slot which will not affect your videocard. Usually the m.2 slots are wired into the chipset lanes, storage is not so sensible to high latency compared with gpu.
thanks,so is as I though.
Have a nice day

P.S.
have they changed how to give best answare? I can t find it anymore

TRENDING THREADS