pci express 2.0.x8 what

Apr 11, 2018
Hi everyone i have a computer that i want to update and thats my graphics card it has in it a rx 580 4 gb card my cpu is amd 8core 4ghz 8370. Ok what im confused about is the bus is pci express 3.0 but its saying pci express 2.0x8 current bus settings is this right? Does something need to be changed in my bios? Also can i put a gtx 1070 ti in my pc?

Solution

You have a cpu based on an architecture that was mediocre when it came out 6 years ago, and just poor for gaming by current standards. A quad core Ryzen will out game your 8 core FX.

DDR4 is the current standard for system memory. DDR5 is currently only used on GPUs and your system is currently using DDR3.

The PCI-e bus speed on the board is a moot point as the CPU is going to be the hold back not the pci-e bus.
Apr 11, 2018

Apr 11, 2018
upgrade my cpu? its an 8 core 8370. DDR is not good and is not used often by people gddr5 has higher bandwith and is faster the any ddr4 memory also u never anwered my question aboit the pci

bignastyid

Titan

You have a cpu based on an architecture that was mediocre when it came out 6 years ago, and just poor for gaming by current standards. A quad core Ryzen will out game your 8 core FX.

DDR4 is the current standard for system memory. DDR5 is currently only used on GPUs and your system is currently using DDR3.

The PCI-e bus speed on the board is a moot point as the CPU is going to be the hold back not the pci-e bus.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

DDR is your system memory (RAM), whereas GDDR is your graphics card memory (VRAM). They are independent of each other. Your CPU uses DDR3, modern platforms use DDR4.

What motherboard do you have?

Also, no, your PCIe slots are not supposed to be PCIe 3.0. AM3+ is PCIe 2.0 only.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Your graphics card is PCIe 3.0 x16. PCIe is backwards compatible, so a PCIe 3.0 card will work just fine with a PCIe 2.0 slot and vice versa. You can also put a x16 card in a slot that's only electrically x8 as long as the slot physically x16 in length.

Both of these things will reduce bandwidth. PCIe 2.0 x8 is 1/4 the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x16. But most cards don't use nearly the full bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x16 so for the most part it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Performance wise the RX 580 is a pretty good mid range card, good for 1080p/60 fps at high settings in pretty much any game.

Apr 11, 2018

bignastyid

Titan
At 4k 4gb of Vram will be an issue(higher resolutions use more Vram. Your FX cpu can only use DDR3. Going to an Intel CPu will still require a motherboard replacement and depending on which Intel cpu and motherboard you get it may require new DDR4 ram aswell.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Your RAM is definitely DDR3 because that's all that works with your CPU. You don't need to upgrade RAM to DDR4 for it's own sake, you'll just need to do so as a byproduct of getting a new CPU if you decide to upgrade, because new CPUs only work with DDR4.

An RX 580 isn't cut out for 4K in modern AAA games regardless of what CPU you get.

Apr 11, 2018