PCI Express And CrossFire Scaling: Is P55 Good Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I just ordered myself an ASUS P7P55D-Pro and didn't understand the difference... If I spent $1200 on video cards to go in this bad boy expecting it to test at higher performance that I will never be able to see by the naked eye it may have been a bigger deal(but it isn't).

It is pretty logical to go the X58 route if you are planning for more than 2 cards...
Only 2x HD 5970s would have significant bottleneck with x8x8 config of the P55...for rest of the cards, the x8x8 still would suffice...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Does it make a difference for the motherboard wether or not all slots are populated when we talk energy? Each pcie plug is supposedly able to deliver 75W to the cards right? so at 3 cards that's quite a bit of power. In addition it has to deliver what, 140W? to the 4ghz cpu .... remembering an earlier article detailing failed boards because of inadequate vrm's I just have to wonder if a higher power draw on the pcie connectors would make a difference in sustainability with such an oc? I mean at some point I would assume a board can draw more power than the atx connector or the power plane can handle?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
pcie 2.0 supports up to 300w (1.1 was 75w). The 5870 draws about 170w at load. This was the reason the 5970 was scaled back to 5850 speeds. Overclocked 920 @ 4.0 is going to draw about 250w. i5 750 (@ 4.0) on the other hand draws about 150w.

For awhile now it's been known that the p55 will run an 8x8x crossfire within close proximity of it's x58 16x/16x even on 5870's. The only real question that hasn't been seen is the quadfire 5970's and a trifire 5970+5870. Publish that and you'll garner my attention at least.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
300w ? but why then would new cards still ship with pcie6 and 8 connectors if the cards actually could make do with the pcie supplied power? I mean, sure for pcie1 support, but won't they still bitch if one was to not plug em in under pcie2?

ps. 150W is also a lot for a processor designed for two digit numbers. Is there some kind of list somewhere of which motherboards support how much vrm power, or how many phases generate how much wattage or whatever can be used as a guideline?

Gonna upgrade the p35 to p55, and I've never been one for stock speeds...

jennyh

Splendid
The gap is just going to increase with more and more powerful graphics cards. We're talking 1-2 years and 8x will be performing just like 4x is now.

8x Pci-e lanes should now be considered a drawback when purchasing new hardware.

notty22

Distinguished
"8x Pci-e lanes should now be considered a drawback when purchasing new hardware."

They just proved it was NOT a drawback with two 400 dollar top tier gpu's.
Someone that advocates not upgrading the rest of their motherboard specs to the current high performance components such as DDR3 and the fastest hypertransport speed should not worry about THEORETICAL pci-e bandwidth.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Yeaaaaah! I've been waiting for this article for quite a while now, this clears up a lot of speculation! I hope you guys do a follow-up article to test whether two 8x,8x are enough to support 2x 5970's....

If this article had come out 2 weeks ago, I would have upgraded to an i7-870 and 2x 5870's, but now that we know Fermi is arriving in Q1 2010 I'm afraid i'm gonna have to wait. . . again -.-

Oh well, that's why we love the PC market, always advancing :)

"A slow DMI interface linking the CPU to the P55 Express PCH at PCIe x4 bandwidth certainly doesn’t help bolster the platform’s performance credentials, causing many to question why Intel would add the Core i7-870—a $540 part—as one of only three launch-day Lynnfield processors. Certainly nobody would drop such an expensive component ontp a “mainstream” motherboard. But that was exactly the option Intel was hoping many builders would choose."

I'm sorry, but these statements were lame. Plenty of NON-GAMERS might want the CPU power of i7 without caring a rat's kazoo about graphics. P55 makes perfect sense for a number-crunching scientific workstation.

Just read the article twice trying to digest the benchmarks. I have to keep reminding myself that it is aimed at high end gamers and enthusiasts. I'm guessing the typical gamer uses only one video card.

I'd like to see a new article about video cards for high end mainstream use such as professional digital imaging, video editing, graphics design, and engineering.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]I'm sorry, but these statements were lame. Plenty of NON-GAMERS might want the CPU power of i7 without caring a rat's kazoo about graphics. P55 makes perfect sense for a number-crunching scientific workstation.[/citation]

True - and for image editing as well. Built an i5-750/P55 system before xmas specificly for use with raw 10mpixel images and such work. Don't think the 4350 card I put in the system matters much for its purpose, and a 5870 would've made it the system worse in fact, as we needed the hdmi plug :)

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Please test the ASUS P7P55 WS. It uses the NF200 to offer true 16x/16x slots on an 1156 board. I may be buying it with my tax return. NewEgg has them in stock right now.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
There are only 2, maybe 3 cards that can saturate the full 8x bandwidth and I don't see that trend going the other way in a year, probably not 2 years.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
For me it´s very clear, people who want to use 2 or 3 GPUs, should buy an X58 platform, the others, just go for the P55 or stick with the P45 or 790GX/FX.

Just my opinion of course.

Huh ?

"We still haven’t seen how an X58 motherboard with x16/x16/x4 slots compares to today’s x16/x8/x8 sample"

Reading this literally, the article compared two cards in 16x8 with 2 cards in 8x8. Was that an answer anyone was looking for ? Isn't the real question 16x16 compared with 8x8 ?
's an answer I didn't need to know.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
^ i thought the point is to show 2 cards in x16 and x16 with two cards in x16 and x8.

also i'm seeing many enthusiast p55 boards that claim two x16 PCI-e slots, whats up with that?

G

They just proved it was NOT a drawback with two 400 dollar top tier gpu's.
Someone that advocates not upgrading the rest of their motherboard specs to the current high performance components such as DDR3 and the fastest hypertransport speed should not worry about THEORETICAL pci-e bandwidth.

-----

And they just proved it WAS an issue with 5970's. How much more of an issue do you think it will be with 6970's? Or 7970's?

Fact facts, anyone who has 8x pci-e slots is going to require an upgrade to 16x within 2 years if they wish to remain at the top of the gaming fps.

If you are building a new rig right now and want it to last 2-3 years, make sure it has 16x16x lanes

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]fozzie76[/nom]Please test the ASUS P7P55 WS. It uses the NF200 to offer true 16x/16x slots on an 1156 board. I may be buying it with my tax return. NewEgg has them in stock right now.[/citation]

It's going to benchmark the same, if not slower. The NF200 was deceiving on the Nvidia and x58 boards. It made it out to sound as if it created new pcie lanes out of thin air. That was never the case. All it did was reroute lanes. The x58 had the advantage of having 48 natural lanes to work with. The p55 on the other hand is limited to 16 lanes to the die. There is no add-on card that will magically gift you more access to the cpu on die gpu controller.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/01/10/xfx_nforce_780i_sli/1

They advertise 16x/8x/8x with nf200. While that might be electrically true, it's never going to result in performance gains because of the 2gb/s dmi speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.