PCI in exchange for ddr4

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I'm looking around for a 1151 motherboard to pair with an i-5 6500, the asus b150m-a and m-k are the most obvious choices but I'm also considering the Gigabyte B150 HD3, DDR3 purely because it has a PCI slot.

I'm on a budget and if I buy the Asus B150 M-A or M-K, I will have to spring an extra 60usd or so for an ac1900 pci-e wifi adapter. If I go with the Gigabyte I can use my existing pci adapter and wait a few months to update my wifi router and pci-e card together to accommodate my 1000M broadband.

I know it sounds kind of stupid to go with the newer motherboard but older ram. I'm not sure how much of a step down this actually is for the sake of being able to use an outdated pci slot, or if it's worth the money i'll save for now.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Its not worth it.

First off Intel specifically recommends against DDR3 and only gave a minimal mea culpa to DDR3L which is low voltage DDR3, and not what you probably own. The board partners made the boards anyway due to demand, and while ther eis no proof yet, running the chips memory controller at the higher voltage of DDR3 can't be good for it. Performance wise the difference is minimal.

Next you're eventually (sooner than later) not going to need that ancient PCI slot. its going to take up space you can use for a device you actually need.

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Thanks guys.

I thought the pci-e or pci adapter would be a good idea until I looked it up. It costs almost as much as the card I'm trying to save money on, and it doesn't seem like I would be able to fit that set up in my case to begin with.

Apart from getting a faster wifi card later in the year, maybe next year, I don't plan on adding many upgrades at all.

My original choice was an i-5 4460 (1150), whcih I was perfectly fine with but I realized the 1151's are only marginally higher in price and have improved graphics