Malke

Clayton wrote:

> Anyone know if this is a good product to pin point faults?
>
> http://www.esupport.com/products/postcards/pcipost.htm

I don't know about that particular product, but I bought a very
expensive POST card many years ago and I think I've used it two or
three times over the years. YMMV.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Anyone know if this is a good product to pin point faults?
>
> http://www.esupport.com/products/postcards/pcipost.htm

Finding out which circuit on a motherboard is dead isn't exactly helpful.
Unless you're going to go get a soldering iron and start rebuilding it. Most
people don't do that.

Most of the time if a motherboard is dead, you replace it, or replace the
whole computer if it's too old. If some other part is busted, it's easy
enough to figure out

Malke

D.Currie wrote:

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Anyone know if this is a good product to pin point faults?
>>
>> http://www.esupport.com/products/postcards/pcipost.htm
>>

> Finding out which circuit on a motherboard is dead isn't exactly
> helpful. Unless you're going to go get a soldering iron and start
> rebuilding it. Most people don't do that.
>
> Most of the time if a motherboard is dead, you replace it, or replace
> the whole computer if it's too old. If some other part is busted, it's
> easy enough to figure out

Actually, I wanted to post back because a good friend (and respected
colleague) just told me he had bought the card in the link below and
was very happy with it:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-TECHAID&cpc=SCH&srm=0

For that price, I'm going to buy one too. I love Geeks.com - they are
totally reliable and have lots of great stuff. My friend said the card
was very useful in diagnosing a box he was working on, down to letting
him know the power supply connection wasn't tight.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

> D.Currie wrote:
>

>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know if this is a good product to pin point faults?
>>>
>>> http://www.esupport.com/products/postcards/pcipost.htm
>>>

>> Finding out which circuit on a motherboard is dead isn't exactly
>> helpful. Unless you're going to go get a soldering iron and start
>> rebuilding it. Most people don't do that.
>>
>> Most of the time if a motherboard is dead, you replace it, or replace
>> the whole computer if it's too old. If some other part is busted, it's
>> easy enough to figure out
>
> Actually, I wanted to post back because a good friend (and respected
> colleague) just told me he had bought the card in the link below and
> was very happy with it:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-TECHAID&cpc=SCH&srm=0
>
> For that price, I'm going to buy one too. I love Geeks.com - they are
> totally reliable and have lots of great stuff. My friend said the card
> was very useful in diagnosing a box he was working on, down to letting
> him know the power supply connection wasn't tight.
>
> Malke

The price makes it reasonable enough, but even so, I don't think I'd bother.
The majority of my work ends up being software related, and the hardware
stuff is usually easy enough to figure out.

In a different environment, it might be useful, though.