May 18, 2022
Hi,
I'm using an Asus vivobook 15 x510uf laptop and it has the following expansion slots.
2x DDR4 SO-DIMM slots
1x M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x2
1x M.2 2280 SATA3
1x STD 2.5” SATA HDD

I am looking for a compatible SSD for upgrading the laptop and found that it does not support NVMe because NVMe SSDs are only compatible with PCIe 3.0x4 (I tried to install a Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD on my laptop but it doesn't fit into the slot). I can definitely use a M.2 SATA3 SSD. But since it has a M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x2 slot, I found that I can use a PCIe 3.0x2 SSD, which is approximately 3X faster than a SATA3 SSD. But however I could find only these two SSD models as PCIe 3.0x2 compatible models.

1. GIGABYTE M.2 PCIe SSD 256GB - product link
  2. Kingston A1000 - product link

But it is hard to find these models these days in my region (could not find them at all :confused2:). So, my questions are...

1. Will one of those above mentioned SSDs fit into my laptop? Is there anyone who used these SSDs in their laptops?

2. In practical use, is there any noticeable difference between a PCIe 3.0x2 SSD and a SATA3 SSD? (boot time, applications loading time, gaming etc.)

Please help me to find a suitable SSD for my laptop.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Where did you read x4 pcie 3 nmve ssds won't run on x2 slots?

Are you sure you're looking at the correct slot?
There's so many varieties of the vivo 15, yours is the uf, this might be similar.
https://www.windowscentral.com/upgrade-ssd-asus-vivobook-15

Differences between m2 and sata 2.5 is more apparent with large file copying. In games, loading etc, random access times they're almost identical.

Reactions: Botulinum
Solution
May 18, 2022
Where did you read x4 pcie 3 nmve ssds won't run on x2 slots?

Are you sure you're looking at the correct slot?
There's so many varieties of the vivo 15, yours is the uf, this might be similar.
https://www.windowscentral.com/upgrade-ssd-asus-vivobook-15

Differences between m2 and sata 2.5 is more apparent with large file copying. In games, loading etc, random access times they're almost identical.

Thanks for ur reply

This is the slot on the motherboard that is dedicated for a ssd (the picture was taken from reddit)
IMG_20171013_123744-1000x563.jpg

imqgcba9id271.jpg

As you can see here there are 6 pins in the right side of the notch. But a NVMe ssd is 5 pins wide. So, basically my Smasung 970 evo can not be inserted into that slot.

m2-suitable.gif

But these PCIe 3.0 x2 ssds have both B & M keys like the m.2 SATA3 ssds have. That's why I thought that they will fit into the slot. What do u think?

Can you show actual photo of your laptop board and which M.2 you're trying to install M.2 drive into?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

IMHO - you're trying to install M.2 drive into M.2 slot for WIFI cards.
M.2 SSD can not be installed there.
M.2 slots meant for WiFi adapters only tend to be more obvious, as they use an E-key which is slightly off from the center. This doesn't look like it.

May 18, 2022
Can you show actual photo of your laptop board and which M.2 you're trying to install M.2 drive into?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

IMHO - you're trying to install M.2 drive into M.2 slot for WIFI cards.
M.2 SSD can not be installed there.
Here is the slot

And here how it looks like when I try to insert my samsung 970 evo. The wider part gets stucked by the notch

Thank u. But I've never seen this type of ssd. Can u pls mention some models?
As far as I know, at least using PCPartPicker (which doesn't even have a filter) or Amazon, they don't exist. There may be some system builders who used an OEM B-keyed NVMe SSD, but since most of the market is using the M-key, there's no point in making a B-key SSD unless you want to be Apple and force people to buy your NVMe SSDs.

Which reviewers will happily point out and tell people to avoid your product if that's a concern.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Essentially, for a laptop, there's no difference between NVMe and Sata SSD's. Laptops generally deal in small files, like games, music etc. That's where the NVMe bottoms out, no point in a 1000 Mtps speed, when only transferring files of a couple Kb, a Sata drive does just as well.

It's like what's faster, a minivan doing 55mph or a Corvette doing 55mph.

NVMe really doesn't come into its own as far as speed goes unless dealing with very large files. I'm talking full game downloads and/or transfers, legal transcripts, real estate documents etc where 1 file is 10Gb+.

Most ppl don't deal with large files on a laptop with any regularity.

May 18, 2022
Essentially, for a laptop, there's no difference between NVMe and Sata SSD's. Laptops generally deal in small files, like games, music etc. That's where the NVMe bottoms out, no point in a 1000 Mtps speed, when only transferring files of a couple Kb, a Sata drive does just as well.

It's like what's faster, a minivan doing 55mph or a Corvette doing 55mph.

NVMe really doesn't come into its own as far as speed goes unless dealing with very large files. I'm talking full game downloads and/or transfers, legal transcripts, real estate documents etc where 1 file is 10Gb+.

Most ppl don't deal with large files on a laptop with any regularity.
Thank u. It's a really nice expalnation.