Question PCIe clasp stuck in clasped position, GPU stuck. Suggestions?

Apr 12, 2022
I’ve tried pushing it back in firmly all the way, wiggling it, using a pencil (eraser side) to push on the clasp, just… pulling really hard. Pulling while pushing the clasp. That clasp won’t move.

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi motherboard

Giant chonky ASUS ROG STRIX 3080

RAM isn’t in the way, the motherboard is ATX, though my CPU cooler is somewhat restricting access (be quiet! Shadow Rock 3), but I’d really rather not take it out if it’s at all avoidable. Obviously I will if it’s absolutely necessary.

I I don’t know if these images will be in any way helpful, but here are a couple.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The system is cool: i.e., been turned off for awhile and down to room temperatures - correct?

Rather than risking additional pulling, pushing, prodding etc. probably best to just remove the cooler. May free the GPU directly or at least permit a closer inspection of everything.

My thought is that when the system heated up, something expanded, jammed, and deformed to cause a permit jam.

Be careful removing the cooler.

Apr 12, 2022
I would not be trying to help if I had not read your post.

Is your problem that the latch will not move, or is it access to the latch?
If you have a long thin flat blade screwdriver, you should be able to put it on the end of the latch and push.

That is answered in the title “PCIe clasp stuck in clasped position” and the first sentence of the thread description “using a pencil (eraser side) to push on the clasp”. I’m not going to use a screwdriver as it will not allow me to exert any more force than the pencil and I don’t want to destroy my motherboard if I slip off the clasp.

I don’t think you did read it at all, as literally everything you have suggested or asked I have already specifically said I tried, or already answered. Hence why I asked you if you did.

That is answered in the title “PCIe clasp stuck in clasped position” and the first sentence of the thread description “using a pencil (eraser side) to push on the clasp”. I’m not going to use a screwdriver as it will not allow me to exert any more force than the pencil and I don’t want to destroy my motherboard if I slip off the clasp.

I don’t think you did read it at all, as literally everything you have suggested or asked I have already specifically said I tried, or already answered. Hence why I asked you if you did.
Sorry if I offended you by trying to help.
In your post, you talked about removing the cpu cooler to get better access.
Hence the question of access to the latch.

I have not seen a photo of the problem.
It is usually a very bad thing if one must resort to force to remove a part.
Do your best to see what makes it stuck.