pcie extension cable?

eevee12123

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hello i just scored a new computer for a pretty good price imo i got an hp elite 8300 small form factor with a 32 inch monitor and another case and crap of that sorts all for 300 bucks. i got this because it has a decent processor it has a 3770 non k processor in it. so i thought thats a great price considering it a full pc with an msi low profile gt 730 (ewww *pokes with a stick*) so i was wondering since this is a small form factor case and for some odd reason some moron at hp decided to put the cpu right behind the pcie slots and literally the gt 730 almost hits it. is it possible to get a pcie extension cable and go for a gtx 970 and not lose alot of performance? i was gonna do a dual power supply thing because the other case he gave me supposedly comes with a 450 watt psu and i was gonna use it to power the 970 and use the power supply from the hp to power the rest of the computer and use the psu from the other computer to power the 970 which they said it can be done just jump one of the wires to power it. but anyways, anything i should be aware of if i get the extension cable? i can power the card up fine with the separate psu? and if it all works where can i set the gpu because there is no space at all in this case at all lol and no im not gonna scavenge all the parts and put it in the other case because the io on it is on the completely wrong side and wont work and im not gonna have it look ghetto rigged anymore than it looks lol. but all this stuff id like information on please? also on a side note i cant hook the 450 watt psu up to this motherboard because all the connectors are completely different so thats why im going with this solution.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
How much space do you need? I once had a problem with an old computer that had the graphics card at the end sit right on top of the PSU cable that plugged into the motherboard... so the card was couldn't snap down into the slot. I resolved that issue by ordering a PCI express riser card that gave me an extra 1/2" clearance... enough for the card to work.

eevee12123

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
ok thats good i never heard of a powered cable but that sounds like its better. also i take it the psu and everything is gonna run ok this will be a while until i can buy these things but i still am gonna get them eventually and thought why not ask ahead. and for maybe a gtx 970 needs quite a bit but i might set it somewhere else im just worried it might break or something but i need to stick it outside my computer case because this is a small case and my hand barley fits inside so i need quite a bit to get it outside.