Sep 3, 2020
Product: HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)
Motherboard: 611835-001 611796-002 written on board
BIOS: J01 v02.33

I upgraded my stock PSU 5 months ago since it doesn’t have a 6+2pin to power a GPU and only a 320w. I replaced it with “EVGA 500w BV 80+ Bronze Rated, non modular PSU”. My HP computer have a proprietary power connectors, but I managed to find an adapter to make me able to connect my EVGA 500w PSU to the mobo. Been using it for 5 months and throughout those months I'm also using my “Gigabyte RX 470 G1 Gaming 4GB” that is installed on the PCIe x16 slot, but recently my computer turned off unexpectedly and can’t power on again. After diagnosing, I found out that my EVGA 500w PSU died and I’m forced to go back and temporarily use the stock 320w PSU and remove my RX 470 because I have no way of powering it with the stock PSU.

Since I was unable to use my GPU, I’d waited until I have another 500w PSU to use my GPU again. Now that I have another 500w PSU. I reinstalled my GPU in the only PCIe x16 slot on my board, I plugged in the 6+2 pin power to my GPU, used a HDMI cable to connect to my monitor and turned the computer on but there is no display.
I tried:
• Reseating my GPU
• Installing my older GPU specifically the “HIS HD 4670 IceQ 1GB (128bit) DDR3 PCIe”
• Other cables in the other ports on my GPU
Still have no display. I even tried installing my “x1 PCIe Wifi Card” onto the x16 PCIe slot but it did not work. My board have 2 more PCIe slots but those are x1 and x4 that are still working, and the rest of other PCI expansion slots are also working. The last thing i did is removing the GPU and just using the onboard display and this showed a display.

I know that my GPU works because I tested it on my older computer, showed display, and all of the ports work.

Now I’m stuck with a computer that have no working x16 PCIe slot. Is this caused by the PSU that broke in the first place? I want to know what might caused this, and is there a way to fix it?

Solution
Sounds like when the power supply died, it damaged the motherboard or cpu. You can replace the motherboard on these pretty cheap and some come with a cpu, so what's what I would do. Then you would have the parts to diagnose and fix whatever happened.
I removed my mobo from its original case and changed the RTC/CMOS battery, and somehow as I put it back in the case and tested the slot again, it somehow worked, maybe the old CMOS battery is just causing my board to not work properly or the mobo is being grounded by the case but I’m not expert so I’m just making assumptions. It would be nice if you can explain to me how it got fixed by just removing the board from the case and replacing the CMOS battery
Sep 3, 2020
Sounds like when the power supply died, it damaged the motherboard or cpu. You can replace the motherboard on these pretty cheap and some come with a cpu, so what's what I would do. Then you would have the parts to diagnose and fix whatever happened.
I removed my mobo from its original case and changed the RTC/CMOS battery, and somehow as I put it back in the case and tested the slot again, it somehow worked, maybe the old CMOS battery is just causing my board to not work properly or the mobo is being grounded by the case but I’m not expert so I’m just making assumptions. It would be nice if you can explain to me how it got fixed by just removing the board from the case and replacing the CMOS battery

Solution
Glad you got it working! And the two ideas you posted are the only ones I can think of too. One thing I've learned about consumer equipment is that it can be finicky like this, sometimes stopping working for no reason and other times fixing itself for no reason too. :eek:

Reactions: John Rae