PCIEx16 not detecting my GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I recently got a new GPU and today I installed it and its not giving and output I checked in device manager Speccy and It looks like its not being detected I have done multiple things to fix such as reset CMOS and change the primary output to pcie but its defaulting to auto its been stressful and I would really like to find a fix my motherboard is an ASUS P8 H61-M CSM R2.0 its an lga1155
my gpu is a gtx 680 SIG 2 im using a tr2 thermaltake 600 powersupply i have also looked at other threads which none seem to find a solution

TL;DR PCIe 16 slot not detecting GPU need a fix

Thanks in advance

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

i think im missing something because i went to system agent config and i didnt see peg option
also im wondering if i can use the bios drivers for this mobo https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/39/4/13/kMLFhm2eGuxijgcI/30/

i have the p8h61 m le r2.0 this this is the p8h61 m le

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

is there anyway i can message you more efficently skype or something i understand if its personal

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

is it for the problem im having or something toatally unrelated to this (sorry im nosey) :p

Tbonius

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I've looked at your manual. Assuming that the video card is good, and it is securely in the pcie16 slot(the first slot) with the power cable connected. You change the graphics options in the bios by going to Advanced Options - System Agent Configuration - Graphics Configuration - Primary Display and set it to PCIe. If that option isn't there, your manual says there can be IRQ conflicts if the component drivers don't support sharing. I would try removing any other cards and see if that helps. If not I would suspect the card.

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

I did all that and my options are Auto Igpu pcie pci when i chose pcie it sets back to auto so idk
the only other card i have is my WLAN card but i dont see how that could be a problem

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Hey im really tired and i need to take a shower then go tobed is it cool if we can finish this tomorrow if we can just like messaege me on here or something around 3:00pm CST and ill be on like 30 minutes after 3pm

* Thermaltake TR2 600 is listed in the un-tiered category on the PSU list (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html).

* I currently see it listed on NewEgg US site for $26.99 after $20.00 rebate card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153166)

* Suggested recommendation for a GTX 680 is a 550 watt tier 1 or 2 PSU (http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm). Thermal take is an un-tier 600 watt PSU.

@CaptRikku, could you borrow a power supply from a friend to test if that's the cause of the issue? Also, what was your previous graphics card? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it pulled fewer watts from your existing power supply.

CaptRikku

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

i didnt have card before pcpartpicker said this psu was fine

I understand. But I've read through this entire thread, and I see a slew of very logical and concise troubleshooting steps. My experience is that when issues get this many layers deep with troubleshooting, the problem usually requires a much simpler solution.

You have a motherboard that only has a single PCIe X16 2.0 slot, therefore you can't test the card in another slot. You have a power supply that depending on the manufacturer date, may be tier 4 at best, and possibly tier 5, which is generally described as a potential system killer. I'm sure I'm not the first person in this thread that this has occurred to. There is no way to know for sure if the issue is caused by the power supply without you borrowing or buying a new one.

By the way, could you reply with the manufacturer date? It would be easier to determine the quality with this information. Why not buy a new power supply from a source that has a no-hassle return policy? If it doesn't solve the problem, simply return it, pay the restocking fee, and perhaps you're out of pocket USD$15.