Pencil-thin Dell Adamo XPS Has Core 2 Duo Brains

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. It doesn't look too bad; it's surely something "different" to say the least. But as far as "guts" go, it's on the lower end of the performance gradient in terms of laptops. For some out there, it'll do just fine as their main computer, for others it may suffice as "different" secondary machine. Heck, my little Toshiba laptop doesn't have much on it in terms of performance- maybe a little better chip (t6400).

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]I am sure you are throwing together a scrappy response so I will preempt it with a simple Latin lesson for you...http://onlysometimesclever.wordpre [...] [/citation]

None needed.

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/info/word/728.html

As with all languages, multiple words have the same and/or similar meaning.

I'd love to tell you what it's like to be correct all the time, but I just don't have that kind of time.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]I hate to break your heart chief but you read Latin for shite...[/citation]

By the way... I owned you pretty good. Actually, really really good. Yup, mhmm.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]I hate to break your heart chief but you read Latin for shite...Adamo translates exactly as they claim."I love" in Latin is AMO.
Amo Amamus
Amas Amatis
Amat Amant[/citation]
What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Only use of functionality i can find with this.
Its a Portable presentation laptop that is light weight and not bulky, unlike the projector or plasma screen you'll be hooking it up to.
Its good for showing slide shows to an audience without the need to lug around that hulking 17" notebook.
It would act as a portable DVD player on flights so you can play all your DVD movies or downloaded movies while still having the ability to type up that office document.
You won't need a bulky laptop bag since this thing fits into an envelope thus making it easy to use as a carry on.
it won't take up all that huge room on your tray or in your lap on those airline flights like the 15" desktop replacement size notebooks.

So the design is very situational, its not a netbook, and its not a crysis playin laptop

G

why does this read like an advertisement? hasn't it been well known for a while that it's running an ultra low voltage cpu? giving this "article" a core 2 duo headline is just misleading...

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]Nice and thin... what graphics chip is in there?? Must be crappy! Can it play HD 1080P flawlessly.. prob not, can it play any good games...?? prob not.. Its a overpriced netbook.... What can I do on this that I cant do on a netbook.....not much that I would want to spend that much on it..1700 for Adamo or 300. for a silly netbook.. I would never buy a netbook...[/citation]

Is your period key broken?

mysticalzero

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
The display panel looks heavier in comparison to the keyboard panel. And, judging from its design and the placement in the first picture, it looks like the Adamo XPS is going fall over a single accidental flick.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
It is interesting...
Though honestly, it just has the feel of a extremely high end netbook.
Would I be right in assuming it's just a 1.8" SSD? If so, for those who need more space, 320GB 1.8" HDDs are coming soon.

Would be nice to get my hands on this.
It has the look of a desktop replacement (upright use only, no putting it on your lap), the design is interesting, and it's overall pretty decent.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I wonder how many will get bent by people getting up from their chair and not thinking as they apply downward pressure on the keyboard folding it downward.

G

For 1800 you can get a Macbook Air. 1280x800 screen, 128GB SSD, only 2GB RAM, but a 2.13GHz processor. This computer is ugly as fuck too. I don't own any Macs (not since a IIe when I was a kid), but I would definitely buy the Air instead and just dual boot w/Win7

G

Hey Dell...were you able to R&D this thing with the 6billion dollars Intel has given you?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Old news, they showed this at the windows 7 launch which was last month. Specs have been online for a while now. It is an overpriced laptop for aesthetics, I would not buy one. For that kind of money you can buy a nice i7 from the same company that made the adamo LOL

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
bah, that thing is ugly and overpriced, i rather get one of those 12" new MSI netbooks that probably work as well as that thing.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]meinahat[/nom]Hey Dell...were you able to R&D this thing with the 6billion dollars Intel has given you?[/citation]
Bhahahhahahahaahhah!

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Incredibly ugly, but I can't believe they got 4GB RAM in that thin of a laptop. That alone is a great accomplishment.

Adamo translates exactly as they claim.

"I love" in Latin is AMO.

Amo
Amas
Amat
Amamus
Amatis
Amant

I thought I was the only one who spoke Latin anymore. Nice job.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
OK,
1) pretty looking but won't stay on my lap, so at best it's a desktop replacement, not a netbook/notebook.
2) same price class as a MacBook Air but, 700MHz slower CPU, slower RAM, Slower system bus, and no descrete graphics, no 1080p playback support, and about 2 hours less battery (under "ideal lab cobnditions" to get yo 5 hours compared to Apple's 5 hours of "wireless productivity" and even that's with the optional extended battery that raises the price of the dell, and its weight and bulk further), oh, and even with the slim battery it's still HEAVIER than the Air...

Fact is, shaving a few tenths of a milimeter is irrelevent. Shaving weight might have been on value, but it didn't, its heavier... making it run for hours and hours on a lightweight bettery would be useful, but the Air already matches it;s performance, and a removable battery with 5+ hours of life isn't really something anyone would use (find me a true heavy user who works for more than 5 hours concurrently in places where a power strip can not be found for 30 minutes, and if you do I'll show you someone carrying 2 batteries but one of them is allways dead because they forgot to swap them to charge the other).

If you can make it run longer at the same performance we'd have a comparrison, but it;s WAY slower.
If it had lots more features, Dell might have had a chance, but no it has even fewer ports than the Air...
If it was significantly cheaper yet ultra light and in the NOTEbook not NETbook segment that'd have a chance, but no, it's actually about the same price for so much less.
It's beuaty is all form, no function...

The Air is a complete notebook, including for playing games and watching video in full HD or working with dual screens. It's lighter, MUCH more powerful, actually offers MORE customizartion options, in the field will run longer on a bettery (especially compared to the default 3 hour battery on the Adamo), and it runs 2 OS instead of one (and comes with a Pro version of an OS, not home premium...), and all for about the same price ($250 less if an SDD doesn't matter to you, and on a low pwerfoqamncen system like the Adamo, it matters naught for speed).

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This is the 1800 dollar conversation piece laptop. The conversation would go "I can't believe you spent $1800 dollars on a crappy laptop that can't even play Crysis" Ok that one was a joke... for all you Crysis haters.
It would really go like this:
Husband: "Hey honey I got us a new laptop"
Wife: "Oh really? How much was it?"
Husband: “Not much, just 1800 dollars... well that’s before I upgraded the hard drive added some ram and increased the CPU a few hundred Mhz..
Wife: “I don’t even know what that means...”
Husband: “Well all said and done it cost around $2200 give or take a hundred”
Wife: “WHAT! Does it come with any software!?”
Husband: “Well it’s has Windows 7, a 60 day trial of MS office, a 1 year trial of Norton internet securi..”
Wife: “Isn’t that the program that pretty much crashed our old computer”
Husband: “yes”
Wife: “Jesus you are an idiot! well at least let me take a look at it... *looks at it .... Oh you are sooo lucky boy because I was going to beat your ass with this ugly POS however we can’t return it broken, when this is done I want a divorce... hell next you’ll be wanting to buy a Macbook Air”

Status
Not open for further replies.