Pentium 4 and end of life for w2k Pro??

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

All.

now that there is the new Pentium D chip available and no one that wants to
sell it with w2k pro or server should we be expecting an end of life for w2k
pro?? with this new generation of chips it looks like the single core P4 will
become the future celeron..

thoughts??... facts??

rob

Win2000Pro won't go away for many years still, simply because there are
millions of people still using it. When Longhorn...um...Vista comes out,
there will still be a lot of people on Win2000, and also on WinXP that won't
upgrade. Win2000 works, XP works, and a lot of people have no reason to
upgrade.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All.
>
> now that there is the new Pentium D chip available and no one that wants
> sell it with w2k pro or server should we be expecting an end of life for
> w2k
> pro?? with this new generation of chips it looks like the single core P4
> will
> become the future celeron..
>
> thoughts??... facts??
>
> rob

This is the reason

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

Rob wrote:

> All.
>
> now that there is the new Pentium D chip available and no one that wants to
> sell it with w2k pro or server should we be expecting an end of life for w2k
> pro?? with this new generation of chips it looks like the single core P4 will
> become the future celeron..
>
> thoughts??... facts??
>
> rob

But the resellers won't have 2000 licenses to sell, which was the
question. Heck some people are still using Windows 95!

Ook wrote:

> Win2000Pro won't go away for many years still, simply because there are
> millions of people still using it. When Longhorn...um...Vista comes out,
> there will still be a lot of people on Win2000, and also on WinXP that won't
> upgrade. Win2000 works, XP works, and a lot of people have no reason to
> upgrade.
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>All.
>>
>>now that there is the new Pentium D chip available and no one that wants
>>sell it with w2k pro or server should we be expecting an end of life for
>>w2k
>>pro?? with this new generation of chips it looks like the single core P4
>>will
>>become the future celeron..
>>
>>thoughts??... facts??
>>
>>rob

Well, what now? If you've been a w2k pro user/developer for a while you are
very comfortable with the OS. You're right, why upgrade? However, what if
you have to upgrade? What OS will give you the stability w2k pro has offered
for many years? The simplicity as well as the performance? I've tried WinXP
pro - sorry, not my cup of tea.

"Bob I" wrote:

> But the resellers won't have 2000 licenses to sell, which was the
> question. Heck some people are still using Windows 95!
>
> Ook wrote:
>
> > Win2000Pro won't go away for many years still, simply because there are
> > millions of people still using it. When Longhorn...um...Vista comes out,
> > there will still be a lot of people on Win2000, and also on WinXP that won't
> > upgrade. Win2000 works, XP works, and a lot of people have no reason to
> > upgrade.
> >
> > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>All.
> >>
> >>now that there is the new Pentium D chip available and no one that wants
> >>sell it with w2k pro or server should we be expecting an end of life for
> >>w2k
> >>pro?? with this new generation of chips it looks like the single core P4
> >>will
> >>become the future celeron..
> >>
> >>thoughts??... facts??
> >>
> >>rob

Disable the eyecandy and there isn't much difference to the naked eye.