Pentium D doesn't support Hyper-T, Or does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faizi1997

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Guys i was just looking for the Requirements of Windows 8 for my Pentium D 945 3.4GHz but its either that CoreInfo is bugged or my CPU really does support it :pt1cable: ........*Look At The Picture Below*.............Please guys i really want to know, If you want any more Proof just reply me (FAST)
lMrK0.png

Solution
We only had two Intel® Pentium® D processors that were both dual core processors and had hyper-threading. They were the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 and Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965. http://ark.intel.com/compare/27614,27615

Right after the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 was released we started to release the Intel Core 2 Duo's which would out perform the older processors by a good margin.

pauls3743

Distinguished
What's the issue? Just run the upgrade advisor and it will tell whether your system can run Windows 8 or not.

BTW, what you have there is a true dual core processor. It does not need to support hyper threading, your "CoreInfo" is bugged. Try CPU-Z CPUID.

Well, whats done is done I suppose. My family was die hard Dell during the late 90s, early 2000s. (Dell is exclusively Intel for their CPUs) So of course we have a Pentium D in a Dell XPS 200 desktop still floating around the house. It was just a terrible design, essentially Intel just duct-taped together 2 single core processor dies to make a dual core. I read somewhere the Intel head guy admitted years later they were just trying to get something out there to go against AMD (since they were first to get a dual core processor to the home market). At the time Intel already had problems with that Netburst design, and 2 of them strapped together really didn't impress anybody.

cuong

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
The Pentium D's poor rep is well deserved but some of the 8 series were well loved by the overclockers who got them to well over 4GHz on air cooling and therefore beating much more expensive alternatives running stock.

Yea well, you got fans of the underdogs on both sides. Just like now, you got a few ppl who swear by their Bulldozer FX-8150s they got shoved up to 5+ GHZ. I can see the logic in it, I'm a natural tinkerer myself. I think I'd rather go buy an old 1988 Mercury Cougar and mod the crap out of it and turn it into a 12-13 second quarter mile car rather than go out and buy a 2012 Ford Mustang Cobra that can pull that off right out of the factory.

faizi1997

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

The one im using is the Optiplex GX620. I've always used DELL thats why i trust them, Previously i had been using a laptop and even before that the Optiplex GX260. Right now im looking forward to buy a i5 3rd Generation.

We only had two Intel® Pentium® D processors that were both dual core processors and had hyper-threading. They were the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 and Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965. http://ark.intel.com/compare/27614,27615

Right after the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 was released we started to release the Intel Core 2 Duo's which would out perform the older processors by a good margin.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.