People Are Mad That Google May Kill Chrome Ad Blockers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...exactly, videos require more bandwidth as well as processing power. I've dealt with some where you can't shut them off and just have to let them play. Fortunately I can mute my system's sound.

My primary objection to ads, honestly, is that more often than not they serve malware. There are a few "legitimate" websites where I have been for some reason or another compelled to turn off my adblock, and interestingly, on several of those instances, my antivirus immediately started shrieking about it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Actually, there's a pretty glaring conflict of interest in making the browser, dominant web apps, and one of the biggest ad networks funding much of the rest of the internet. I think that's what this move highlights.

If Chromium weren't opensource, perhaps Google would already be getting hit with anti-trust by the EU for Chrome.

Well, it's understandable that you're disappointed. ...just check your entitlement. Google doesn't owe you anything, and it's ultimately you who'll suffer, if you forget that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is disappointing but its not really a surprise. They control browser space, they will lose a small percentage of users but majority won't even notice as they didn't use ad blockers.

That conflict also covers Android. Forcing all those users to see ads is the key, they don't really care about PC as much, they allowed Ublock to work on PC but I don't see it on the play store for phone? I bet most ad blockers on Android let google ads through. That is only reason they allowed to exist, and maybe not for much longer. PC wasn't where they got most viewers, its only now they may force those users as well.
At least Firefox on Android has UBlock as an add on.

Hardest part is remembering you decided to swap to another browser the day before :)

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Never understood why people used chrome. Their company only makes money off selling your data. I have been using firefox forever with adblock. Noscript was also a nice extension.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...this evening when I got home, I accidentally clicked on the Firefox icon. it took several minutes to full boot up and even longer to bring up Gmail. Chrome opens immediately ready to go without tabs sitting there with loading swirlies that seem to take forever with a "not responding" message is in the upper window bar.

On of the recent updates killed my Noscript and Lazarus extensions while their advert and popup blocking is even worse as like I mentioned, I would still get adverts and popups, or pages just would not open correctly unless I turned the blocker off.

Jan 28, 2019
I believe you are correct. In fact, before Brave went to Chromium, I had a lot of trouble using extensions like F.B. Purity on Facebook. If I ever did download them, updates were a near impossibility.

Jun 20, 2018
AdsBlockers are useless if you don't go to crappy/dangerous web sites, moreover adsblocker break most of legit web site submission forms. I was a early adopter of AdsBlockers many years ago but in 2019 is more a problem than a solution unless you browse.only on a garbage websites.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...it is just getting wearisome.

Like for example when I'm on DA and adverts are mixed in with the pictures.

Or a site like ESPN (even the Tom's Newsletter) which is "framed" with bloody adverts which are terribly distracting.

Or YouTube where you have to sit and wait through an advert before viewing the video and cannot bypass it as well as adverts even pop up on the screen while watching or interrupt a video.

Or trying to read an online article which has video adverts embedded within it which you can't even stop let alone get rid of or like tonight, some I have to turn the system's speakers off as there isn't even a mute control on them.

In my book it seems all Net sites are becoming "rubbish" Net sites because of this.

Crikey it was bad enough when adverts began showing up on pay television years ago. I thought that was the reason why you paid the extra premium so you could watch advert free television. What a bloody racket.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Were you restoring a previous session?

Do you have enough RAM, or could your PC have been swapping (possibly to a mechanical hard disk)?

BTW, are you from Australia, by any chance? Just curious.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...I basically switched from FF to Chrome months ago making Chrome my default so no old FF sessions.

I have plenty of memory so it shouldn't be going into virtual memory.

Sadly not.

Well, here's somebody who probably doesn't know enough to opine on the subject. I've had more top-5 sites throw ads with malware my way than the freakin' Swedish navy.

It's as simple as buying ads on a network, and given how far-reaching these can be, the targets are pretty random. It's not the sites serving the malware, it's the networks they subcontract who don't do proper vetting. Hell, adwords has even done it before, though not to me personally.

But, in any case, it comes down to me to deal with any of the fallout, and given that chronic negligence, I am not going to oblige these sites or their networks by serving ads.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

..so I guess Tom's also qualifies as a dangerous website as it also has a lot of adverts unless you block them.

Except this isn't true at all. There are tons of reputable sites that run off adds that are way overblown. It's not to bad on a fast device with a large screen like a PC but its terrible on a phone. I personally run AdGuard DNs set on my router at home. Blocks most adds and doesn't interfere with sites behavior(mostly).