Question Performance degradation after cpu+mobo change

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I had an older system with a gigabyte b75m d3h mainboard and an i5 3570s.However i was experiencing some issues with this board,hence i replaced it with an i5 4460 and gigabyte b85 m d3ha board that i had lying around.The remaining specs were the same as before.

However after installing this new cpu and mobo,i have observed a marked degradation in the performance of the system in gaming-titles like Hellblade,A plague tale:innocence etc which earlier used to run just fine now exhibit considerable lag and stutter,which make them almost unplayable.I have seen certain youtube vids of these games where using a similar setup(same cpu,gpu etc),the uploader was able get a steady 50-60 fps with little to no lag.

I was concerned that the lower performance might be caused by throttling issues due to cpu overheating-but the cpu temps appear to be fine,they barely exceed 50-55'c even while stress testing(checked using hwinfo).

I can't fathom what might be causing this deterioration in performance-could it be because i didn't reinstall windows 10 after installing the new cpu and motherboard?I didn't feel the need to do so as windows detected all the new hardware and started working without any issues(apparently,that is).Can not reinstalling windows cause such problems?

If anyone knows of a way to resolve this issue,do let me know.The remaining specs of my pc are : Zotac 1060 6gb,4+8GB ddr3,Corsair TXM 550 psu,CM h410r cpu cooler.

WildCard999

Titan
I can't fathom what might be causing this deterioration in performance-could it be because i didn't reinstall windows 10 after installing the new cpu and motherboard?I didn't feel the need to do so as windows detected all the new hardware and started working without any issues(apparently,that is).Can not reinstalling windows cause such problems?
Yup, you need to do a clean install of Windows 10, motherboard & GPU drivers. It must be an actual clean install, not a system recovery.

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
i did reinstall the drivers for the gpu,even rolled back to an older driver,but to no avail.

I will try reinstalling windows and check if the problem persists.

My older i5 3570s had a boost clock of 3.8 ghz whereas the i5 4460 has a lower boost clock of 3.4 ghz-could this lower clock speed of the new cpu have such a tremendous impact on gaming performance?

WildCard999

Titan
No the performance difference shouldn't be that much even on more CPU intensive titles. Just wondering why did you change those parts? It's more of a sidegrade then upgrade, if it were me I would of grabbed something like the i7-3770 instead for the extra threads.

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
i was hearing a strange buzzing sound on occasions from that older board,hence decided to swap it out.

Are my 8+4gb DIMMs operating in dual channel mode in this new board?CPU-z and hwinfo show that its indeed operating in dual channel config-the reason i am asking this is i've heard that 2 unevenly sized memory modules may not work properly in dual channel mode on certain mobos,thereby leading to performance problems.

Is the info being shown by cpuz and hwinfo about the memory configuration accurate?