Question Performance differences

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I got Asus RT-AC86U and Linksys EA7300 is one better than the other wireless performance?
I really couldn't tell for sure, maybe the Linksys seems to be more stable, the Asus is running
Asuswrt-Merlin

Key here is your end devices are 1/2 the connection so it doesn't really matter if you get some fancy router that does 4x4 mimo if your end device can only do 2x2. 2x2 mimo is the most common for wifi devices.

They are more or less the same. One uses wifi chip by mediatek and the other by broadcom. They both support the same encodings on the 5g radio. The link can do 4x4 on 2.4 and theasus can only do 3x3 but as mentioned this seldom makes a difference because the end device can only use 2x2. All routers put out near the legal maximum power allowed so coverage will be about the same.

Now in this case the asus is a special exception to my rule of not recommending a specific router. That router has a very high clock rate cpu and it has a encryption accelerator. There are only a handful that do this. This is key if you are going to run VPN on the router. Most routers even the mostly costly ones can only do maybe 30-50mbps of vpn traffic because they do not have the encryption hardware. This asus can get closer to say 200mbps

If you are not using vpn then it doesn't matter as much how fast the cpu is and what instructions it supports.

kanewolf

Titan
I got Asus RT-AC86U and Linksys EA7300 is one better than the other wireless performance?
I really couldn't tell for sure, maybe the Linksys seems to be more stable, the Asus is running
Asuswrt-Merlin
Are you trying to determine which one to use? Or which one to use as your primary router and which one to use as an AP ?
The best answer is to use BOTH, with one configured as an access point. The best WIFI is close WIFI.

In this case where you actually have both routers I would attach the asus to the linksys as a AP and put them next to each other. I would set different ssid and then you can actually test which works better for you.

This is kinda unpredictable. The router cpu part does not matter since the wifi will pass from the wifi chip to the switch/lan chip and go over to the linksys. All data will then go to the internet via the linksys cpu. Make sure you are not using anything fancy like firewall or traffic shaping on the linksys. Both your routers can easily do 1gbit wan/lan when running in default mode.

TRENDING THREADS