Nov 30, 2020
First of all thanks in advance for your help and suggestions, I'm new to the forum yet I've been reading your posts for a long time.

I just upgraded my PC from an i7 2600k OC 4.3Ghz to a Ryzen 3 3100 no OC yet, since graphics card's prices are a bit up right now I decided to move my RTX 2060 from my old system to this new one. So the problems arrises when I'm playing Hunt Showdown in my new setup, running almost everything maxed at 2k at 90-100FPS stable (went up from 80-90 with my old system) after a few minutes of playing a match I get some huge frame drops they feel like 1-2 seconds stutter but msi afterburner al least register them as a spike of 500ms frametime, since the first frametime spike I get them every 2-3 seconds until the match finishes. The first few minutes are fine, going from the first compound to the second is almost everytime ok it is just when I go to the third it starts to stutter. When getting these framedrops I've trying capping the FPS to 60 and 30 and lowering the texture quality and the stuttering didn't go away. I've tried running CSGO and Apex legends and had no issue with CSGO but I had some stutter with Apex Legends which disappeared after a restart of the system so I could have been nothing.

Having explained the issue I will now post my new and old specs:

OLD (Won't go into much detail since this system works fine):
  • i7 2600k OC 4.3Ghz
  • RTX 2060
  • 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • 500GB SSD
  • EVGA G2 650W Gold Plus

NEW:
  • Ryzen 3 3100 Stock
  • MSI B550 Gaming Plus
  • RTX 2060 (Same one as the one in the old system)
  • 500GB Sandisk SSD (Same one)
  • 16GB (2x8) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz
  • EVGA G2 650W Gold Plus

So far I've run several test to check if everything in the new system is fine. First a fast userbenchmark test, everything performing as expected, next some Cinebench R20, ryzen 3 3100 multicore 2200 aprox. Those were some standard tests I did before I even got the performance issue. After that I uninstalled and installed the game, no luck, uninstalled (using DDU) and installed the GPU drivers, no luck. After that I tried running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time in order to check temps and system stability, GPU 71C max and CPU less than 70 and no framedrops or stuttering in the system. After that I went for the RAM, memtest86-usb 3 passes without errors. I've also reassembled the system to check if there was some lose connection, still same issue. Lastly I moved my GPU to the old system and played Hunt Showdown there, no suttering and everything performing as it should, did this to discard some driver/update related issue.

Everything is under warranty but I'd like to know which component is the one causing all this. I won't rule out the GPU since it is getting 10FPS more with the new setup and that may be taxing it too much and causing the failure. since the RAM passes memtest I think that it is safe to rule them out. That leaves as with the CPU and MB, and some software related problem.

Some more info, when the stuttering starts CPU and GPU usage fall during the frametime spike and so does the FB and Power usage. I will upload some msi afterburner logs if needed.

Thank you in advance and feel free to ask for more info about anything I might have forgotten to include about the systems.

First of all thanks in advance for your help and suggestions, I'm new to the forum yet I've been reading your posts for a long time.

I just upgraded my PC from an i7 2600k OC 4.3Ghz to a Ryzen 3 3100 no OC yet, since graphics card's prices are a bit up right now I decided to move my RTX 2060 from my old system to this new one. So the problems arrises when I'm playing Hunt Showdown in my new setup, running almost everything maxed at 2k at 90-100FPS stable (went up from 80-90 with my old system) after a few minutes of playing a match I get some huge frame drops they feel like 1-2 seconds stutter but msi afterburner al least register them as a spike of 500ms frametime, since the first frametime spike I get them every 2-3 seconds until the match finishes. The first few minutes are fine, going from the first compound to the second is almost everytime ok it is just when I go to the third it starts to stutter. When getting these framedrops I've trying capping the FPS to 60 and 30 and lowering the texture quality and the stuttering didn't go away. I've tried running CSGO and Apex legends and had no issue with CSGO but I had some stutter with Apex Legends which disappeared after a restart of the system so I could have been nothing.

Having explained the issue I will now post my new and old specs:

OLD (Won't go into much detail since this system works fine):
  • i7 2600k OC 4.3Ghz
  • RTX 2060
  • 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • 500GB SSD
  • EVGA G2 650W Gold Plus

NEW:
  • Ryzen 3 3100 Stock
  • MSI B550 Gaming Plus
  • RTX 2060 (Same one as the one in the old system)
  • 500GB Sandisk SSD (Same one)
  • 16GB (2x8) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz
  • EVGA G2 650W Gold Plus

So far I've run several test to check if everything in the new system is fine. First a fast userbenchmark test, everything performing as expected, next some Cinebench R20, ryzen 3 3100 multicore 2200 aprox. Those were some standard tests I did before I even got the performance issue. After that I uninstalled and installed the game, no luck, uninstalled (using DDU) and installed the GPU drivers, no luck. After that I tried running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time in order to check temps and system stability, GPU 71C max and CPU less than 70 and no framedrops or stuttering in the system. After that I went for the RAM, memtest86-usb 3 passes without errors. I've also reassembled the system to check if there was some lose connection, still same issue. Lastly I moved my GPU to the old system and played Hunt Showdown there, no suttering and everything performing as it should, did this to discard some driver/update related issue.

Everything is under warranty but I'd like to know which component is the one causing all this. I won't rule out the GPU since it is getting 10FPS more with the new setup and that may be taxing it too much and causing the failure. since the RAM passes memtest I think that it is safe to rule them out. That leaves as with the CPU and MB, and some software related problem.

Some more info, when the stuttering starts CPU and GPU usage fall during the frametime spike and so does the FB and Power usage. I will upload some msi afterburner logs if needed.

Thank you in advance and feel free to ask for more info about anything I might have forgotten to include about the systems.
I have heard of Ryzen having frame time issues before, why don't you check out a benchmark with your config on youtube? Check the frame times there and compare it with your PC

Please post the link to your Userbenchmark.
Try running the drive manufacturer tools to verify the health of your SSD.
Run HWiNFO64 in the background (sensors only, logging on) and game until the stuttering happens. Play for at least 20 mins keeping track of when the stuttering happens and if/when it clears up. Upload the logfile somewhere where we can grab it and have a look.

First thing i didnt read was is there a fresh install of the OS on the new system, in short yes windows 10 does a pretty good job with system changes but your moving a large generation gap and from intel to amd.

Second, if there was or wasnt a new OS install, did you download the newest chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacture, once again windows 10 does a decent job with grabbing drivers but they are mostly generic, you need to install the chipset drivers by yourself.

JayzTwoCents give this a watch as he moves a OS from intel to amd

Nov 30, 2020
I have heard of Ryzen having frame time issues before, why don't you check out a benchmark with your config on youtube? Check the frame times there and compare it with your PC
I've done just that, no issues with the frametimes on the videos I've found.
Please post the link to your Userbenchmark.
Try running the drive manufacturer tools to verify the health of your SSD.
Run HWiNFO64 in the background (sensors only, logging on) and game until the stuttering happens. Play for at least 20 mins keeping track of when the stuttering happens and if/when it clears up. Upload the logfile somewhere where we can grab it and have a look.
Ok, I will try that and upload the result, thanks a lot. The SSD is working fine and here it is the userbenchmark link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36176859
I've just done a small OC to the Ryzen with ryzen master to check if its utility fixed the issue and the game is installed on the SSD.
First thing i didnt read was is there a fresh install of the OS on the new system, in short yes windows 10 does a pretty good job with system changes but your moving a large generation gap and from intel to amd.

Second, if there was or wasnt a new OS install, did you download the newest chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacture, once again windows 10 does a decent job with grabbing drivers but they are mostly generic, you need to install the chipset drivers by yourself.

JayzTwoCents give this a watch as he moves a OS from intel to amd

Yes, it is a fresh widnows install and nope I'll give a try to those chipset drivers. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2020
The cpu is a slight side shift, still does better then the 2600k, but once AMD gets off their paper launch of the 5000 series he can upgrade to that and be set
Yep, the CPU is better than the i7, and I'm running it with the stock cooler withour much noise. I was waiting for the 5600 but I found a deal for this B550 board 129€ + 30$ cashback + 25$ Steam code + a key for the new AC and I just had to get the MB and a cheap ryzen 3100 while I wait.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020
So I think I found what is causing the issue, Discord. I installed all the MB drivers and jumped into a game, all went well, next game, all was fine, then I got into a call with some mates through Discord and jumped into a new game, 2 minutes in stutterfest begins. In addition to that I've found that Alt+Tab out and in gave me 1-2 minutes of playing without stutters so that might be something. Uninstalled Discord and played 3 more games through Steam Voice Chat and no issues. I've read that Discord uses some GPU encoding for the audio. Tomorrow I will install it again and check if disabling that solves the stutters.

So I think I found what is causing the issue, Discord. I installed all the MB drivers and jumped into a game, all went well, next game, all was fine, then I got into a call with some mates through Discord and jumped into a new game, 2 minutes in stutterfest begins. In addition to that I've found that Alt+Tab out and in gave me 1-2 minutes of playing without stutters so that might be something. Uninstalled Discord and played 3 more games through Steam Voice Chat and no issues. I've read that Discord uses some GPU encoding for the audio. Tomorrow I will install it again and check if disabling that solves the stutters.

I read another forum yesterday that using discord with the new 6000 series AMD gpus caused major lag in games, others had recommended running in full window mode for games. Im wondering if they didnt screw something up in a bios update that is causing all these issues.

AMD is starting to pull some amazing performance out of their product but until the can get better programmers for driver support, ill just sit back and watch.