Performance Issues and General Problems w/ prebuilt PC (HP 580-023w)

Apr 24, 2018
I've made post similar this before, but they didn't have as much information as I have now and also didn't get that many responses. First off, before I go into any details, here is the full spec sheet of my system (it is a prebuilt by HP: the Pavilion Power 580-023w)

Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory: Two 4GB SK Hynix at 2400MHz making 8GB
Motherboard: 82F1 1.01
BIOS: F.25
Storage: WD BLUE 7200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

So, I got this PC in March around 5 months ago for about $600 from Walmart. The system is not refurbished and it was brand-new, never opened from the box. It came with the system itself, a mouse, a keyboard, and a HDMI cable; none of which I use besides the system (duh). I would use the HDMI cable but my TN panel monitor (Dell E2416H) only supports Displayport and VGA, so I use Displayport. For about a week, it worked fine, but then the problems began.

First, I just noticed some small stuttering and mini-freezing in some games, and long boot times for Windows and load times for games. I did a quick Windows refresh (reinstalling Windows freshly, also removed all the HP bloatware and such, but had to reinstall HP Support Assisant cuz its a beast bruh) and assumed all my problems would float away for some reason. As you could guess, that was not the case. I remained with the exact issues (and even did a fresh reinstall multiple times), meaning this was more likely a hardware problem rather than a software problem.

This is when I started noticing issues happening in almost every game I played. Of course, some games (mostly 2d games and old games lol) didn't have issues, but most did. Also, on a side-note, sorry for using so many parenthesis, I just like them a lot. Anyways, most games I played had issues. I spent countless hours googling and trying to fix them for each game, but to no avail. Here is just a few.

Some Issues: (keep in mind I only have a few games, and these are most of them)

GTA V: Stuttering after a while (say 15-20 mins of play), stuttering starts earlier after alt-tabbing. I've seen people have incredibly similar issues to this but every solution that supposedly works didn't work for me.

Rust: Okay, this is a weird one. When I first got my PC, I had almost 0 issues with this game (besides the extremely loooong server load times), and yet it has devolved to something much worse. I have this strange issue in the game that I have seen no one else have. There are many graphics settings in the game, and one of them is a slider from 1 to 5 titled "Graphics Quality" that dictates the quality of objects and models and textures at distances. The funny thing is how this behaves. I am not able to put this slider to 4 or 5 OOORRR 1 or 2. That's right. I have to keep it at 3. No lower or higher. I can have this setting on 3 with every thing else turned all the way up, and it performs good, with 60-90 fps. Yet, if I put this setting any higher or (or being the keyword here) lower, the game basically becomes un-playable. I can't have it on 1 or 2 or 4 or 5, even with all the other settings on the lowest they could go. Strange, right? I don't know when this started occurring. It seemed like it started after my first system re-install, but I could just be trippin'.

PUBG: stuttering... wait that happens to everyone #FIXPUBG

R6 Siege: This game performs fairly well, besides for the fact that mini-freezes and stuttering occur like anything else. People have said that this is due to high texture settings for the card, but I even ran the game with the lowest texture setting and it still occurred just like before.

CSGO: Same here with the mini-freezing and stuttering. Just like GTA V, v-sync doesn't fix anything. For some reason, putting motion-blur on with v-sync off seems to remedy this problem somewhat, but freezing still occurs sometimes.

Battlefield 1: Of course, mini-freezing and stuttering. Surprisingly, when I am playing conquest with tons of explosions and stuff going on, it is fine mostly, but when I play team death-match with nothing much going on, it performs the worst, often dipping to the teens.

My only other game on steam that's not Bully or a free game, NBA 2K18: Frequent mini-freezing, and full-fledged freezing when quarter ends; game ends; halftime starts; or anything along those lines. Also, 2K, please raise Kemba Walker's rating for 2K20. He is underrated. Googling solved nothing. People didn't even have similar issues.

This is when the interesting stuff occurs. So I did tons of hours of research before I got the PC, and, whilst there weren't many videos on my exact prebuilt, the ones that were on YouTube all showed the PC performing good. Some of these include Joey's video (really wish he would show the temps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Ijym8d9NA and some other person's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcZKXZqysJo&t=195s, both of which will come back up later in this post. Also, sorry if it's getting a little too long, but this will take a lot of time to explain.

So, I want to bring up the video showcasing Rust on this PC. As you can see, she brings up the "Graphics Quality" to 4, and it plays just fine, unlike my experience which is riddled with freezing, and huge stuttering anytime my Graphics Quality is on 1, 2, 4, or 5. Also, Joey's video shows him playing R6 with no issues with even higher graphics settings than I use.

A funny thing I have noticed is that when using something like MSI Afterburner (which I will bring up later) for a FPS overlay, most of the stutters, fps drops, and mini-freezes don't show up on any fps counter. Funny, huh?

Now, the important part, the temps. I've noticed that in every single game I have issues in, the card always reaches it's temp limit, which is 82c, meaning the card is mostly always being thermal throttled. The confusing part of this is, I even set the fan curve to set the fan speed at 100% at 40c and above, and yet, whilst my PC sounded like a jet engine, EVERY TIME IT STILL HIT THE TEMP LIMIT... WTH. The thing is, my pc is in a cold room, in an open space, with the fan on 100& speed all the time for testing.... and the CARD STILL HITS THE TEMP LIMIT... WTH! also yes my clock settings are all normal, i have never changed any of those

So, maybe the temp reader is broken, who knows. My CPU temps are absolutely fine (actually above average), and my GPU and CPU usages are fine as well. Sorry for the caps, kinda got heated at the end there (get it?).

Alright, we are nearing the end. Of course, with a post as big as this, I will have most likely have forgotten some things or left some things out. Please feel free to ask any questions whatsoever. I just need any help I could get.

Due to memory leaks in windows and programs 8GB just doesn't cut it anymore for gaming. 15-20min of gameplay in GTA will eat your RAM up. Have you tried doing a clean install of your GPU drivers with DDU? Freezing issue could be HDD related too.

Apr 24, 2018

I couldn't tell you how many times I have used DDU. I've tried every GTX 1060 driver people said would eliminate the issues with no avail. Right now, I'm roockin the newest drivers. But games like R6 shouldn't be that demanding on RAM. Also, that doesn't explain Rust's issue, as it performs fine in the video but for me its all hell when it Graphics Quality is higher or lower than 3.

Good point. Just loading into GTA and I'm sitting at 8GB usage with no other programs open.
PY3bspm.png

Please explain the mini-freezing? That's why I'm suspecting the HDD. Do you have high performance mode enabled in windows?

Apr 24, 2018

Yeah, I of course use high performance mode. Every single "fix" to my problems have said to use it but I don't see the difference. The mini-freezing is like a freeze that last, like, half a second up to a full second, and they happen every 2-10 seconds.

Download crystal disk info, what's the health status of your HDD?

Download crystal disk info, what's the health status of your HDD?

Dec 2, 2019
I understand that this thread is dead, but I'm in the exact same boat as OP. Same rig and same exact issue. I've recently done a clean install to no avail, and it seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions? 😕