[SOLVED] Performance issues during gameplay (Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 5700 8GB)

Nov 6, 2020
Hey, I got pretty low CPU & GPU usage during gameplay (GPU 0-50%) and pretty low performance. If I run let's say Space Engineers It's 8-15FPS no matter what settings are applied (lowest res and details...) I don't think that this gear is that bad to run game like SE that badly. Am I missing anything ?

Things tried so far :
  • All drivers are updated.
  • I tried doing clean installation of GPU drivers.
  • Recently updated BIOS, no change.
  • Power management always to best performance.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35051445

Solution
Hey, I got pretty low CPU & GPU usage during gameplay (GPU 0-50%) and pretty low performance. If I run let's say Space Engineers It's 8-15FPS no matter what settings are applied (lowest res and details...) I don't think that this gear is that bad to run game like SE that badly. Am I missing anything ?

Things tried so far :

Your benchmark scores look fine - are you having problems in any other game or just SE? At what stage of the game are you getting those numbers? I know SE can get pretty sluggish if...

Things tried so far :

Your benchmark scores look fine - are you having problems in any other game or just SE? At what stage of the game are you getting those numbers? I know SE can get pretty sluggish if you've build something large and start testing it (this is an issue with the game itself and is same for everyone, irrespective of hardware - KSP has similar issues due to the physics sim being limited to just one cpu core).

If you are getting that kind of performance at the start of the game then there is something wrong (i.e. a new game before you've done anything)... you might want to try re-installing the game.

It's also worth having a look at temps - you can use the free 'HW Monitor' tool to see what temp your cpu and gpu are running at - if the temps get too high the cpu will throttle down and that will tank performance. That would only happen if temps were over 80C though, worth checking though just in case.

Edit: Another thing you could do is run 3D Mark TimeSpy (get the free demo version on Steam) - that is a really good combined cpu and gpu test and is more relevant to gaming performance than Userbenchmark - if that runs and scores in line with similar systems to yours then you can rule out hardware problems.

Solution