Question Performance suddenly tanked in Valorant ?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I was tweaking my Windows for better performance. When I was done I tested out Valorant and my fps had dropped from 500-700 fps in game to about 90-200, with my CPU and GPU latency going from 1-2 up to 10. I have been tweaking and debloating my Windows for years without an issue like this.

I ran some benchmarks in 3Dmark and my score was a little lower than expected but after removing SystemExplorer from my system (one of the tweaks i did) the score went back up to normal. The other games I've tested run as usual, it's only Valorant. There was an update to Valorant but it was so small it didn't even download, took 1 second. My friend had no issues after the update.

The tweaks I did were only some services I disabled that I tried reverting. I also removed telemetry, but that shouldn't have affected on gaming performance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
DDU graphics drivers so shader cache and everything else is cleared then reinstall graphics drivers.

List entire specs.

If reinstalling drivers don't work maybe try system file checker command. Since not sure of everything you've done or shouldn't have done to the system by means of tweaking, a system reset or full wipe reinstall might be in order. Hopefully DDU helps though.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
DDU graphics drivers so shader cache and everything else is cleared then reinstall graphics drivers.

List entire specs.

If reinstalling drivers don't work maybe try system file checker command. Since not sure of everything you've done or shouldn't have done to the system by means of tweaking, a system reset or full wipe reinstall might be in order. Hopefully DDU helps though.
I tried DDU and reinstalling drivers, but it's stil the same. I've already tried system scan commands with no help. It's just valorant tho. I saw some other people experiencing lower fps after the update so I guess it could be something Riot did.

Specs:

Asus Rog Strix B450-f
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro cl15 3000mhz 2x8gb
Asus Dual Evo 2070 Super
Amd Ryzen 7 5800x3d

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah and update could result differently for various people depending on OS + update level, driver versions, installed apps etc, it's too dynamic to isolate really. I hope it's just a waiting game for you, it's not like you're totally lacking in fps.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Yeah and update could result differently for various people depending on OS + update level, driver versions, installed apps etc, it's too dynamic to isolate really. I hope it's just a waiting game for you, it's not like you're totally lacking in fps.
I submitted a ticket to Riot asking if they if it's an issue many have. I hope it's something they can fix. And yes many people play on 100-200 fps, so it's not unplayable at all. Just takes a bit to get used to.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I do have two SSDs in my system. Could I use the extra empty one and just install windows on it and test valorant on it to see if that would fix it, then just put the one with my actual windows install back in with no problems? I know I can just format the other SSD and use it as an extra again.

If you are using Windows 10 and an Intel "big LITTLE" type CPU (12th gen onwards) the E-cores may not be properly utilised by Windows and it may be allocated to Valorant (which is almost fully single core), causing performance drops. You can try and disable E-cores and see if the FPS is more consistent.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
If you are using Windows 10 and an Intel "big LITTLE" type CPU (12th gen onwards) the E-cores may not be properly utilised by Windows and it may be allocated to Valorant (which is almost fully single core), causing performance drops. You can try and disable E-cores and see if the FPS is more consistent.
I have amd r7 5800x3d and Im on Windows 11. Is there any way for me to check If Valorant is utilizing my cpu properly?