Performing Fresh Re-Installation of Windows 10

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
Hi everyone!
Pretty soon I will be buying a new Z370 motherboard to accommodate my new Coffee Lake CPU as part of my gaming/ graphical design PC. I was wondering, since I know I have to re-install windows, would it hurt me to install windows on a different drive from the one it was previously on, or should I reinstall windows onto the drive it was previously on? I say this because getting a 120 GB M.2 isn't all that much money, and I have files on my SSD I would prefer to not have to move just for a windows reinstall.

Solution
You do not have to reinstall to the SSD, you can install to the M.2 drive with no issues.

The only caveat is that the files on your old SSD may not work after reinstalling Windows. If you're referring to "files" in the pictures, videos, etc. sense, then they'll work just fine. But if you're using "files" to refer to installed programs, then those programs need to be reinstalled to the new M.2 drive.
You do not have to reinstall to the SSD, you can install to the M.2 drive with no issues.

The only caveat is that the files on your old SSD may not work after reinstalling Windows. If you're referring to "files" in the pictures, videos, etc. sense, then they'll work just fine. But if you're using "files" to refer to installed programs, then those programs need to be reinstalled to the new M.2 drive.

Solution

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

The M.2 SSD would only be used for Windows, no other programs. The Motherboard is being changed from an ASUS Prime Z270-A to the Z370 variant. The M.2 I would use would be the Corsair Force MP500.

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

Yeah I accidentally downloaded gaming DRM's like UPlay and Steam to the boot drive, along with Adobe Flash which was not intentional. So I would have to reinstall those? Also I was worried about driver incompatibility and it affecting my SSD speed. Would that be an issue as well?

USAFRet

Titan

Having the SSD for only the OS is tossing out 1/2 its purpose.
You can if you want, but having applications on that as well is what it is there for.

And just checking on the drive and the board, because a LOT of people get confused in the "m.2" thing, and assume ALL m.2 drives are the same.
They're not.

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

Nah I did my homework on my components, that's more my gig. Software, not so much lol. I'll probably install programs like discord on to my M.2 as well so I will be utilizing more of its potential.

Programs like those you will have to reinstall for full functionality.

What are you referring to when you say "driver incompatibility"?

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

I'm referring to old CPU drivers still remaining on the SSD, causing issues with compatibility and performance down the line.

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

How would I go about the re-installation? Would I use the method of going straight through Windows and select a new drive to install to, or do I need to download the "windows 10 Installation Media?"

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

USAFRet

Titan

You need to be specific beyond "m.2"
SATA based or PCIe based? It makes a difference.

M.2 is just the physical format. It can be either SATA or PCIe.

A SATA m.2 drive is no different than a regular 2.5" SATA III drive. Just fewer cables.

If a PCIe based drive...
If going in a new build, that can use the drive natively, yes.
If replacing a current SSD? Probably not.
If adding that, and continuing to use the SATA SSD? Maybe.

MegaBuns516

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

Yes a SATA SSD. I would be adding the M.2 while still using the current SSD. However, if results are negligible then I won't do it.