Question Persistent BSOD Issue caused by ntoskrnl.exe -- Any help is appreciated!

Zphere

Prominent
Oct 1, 2023
About a year ago, I built a new computer and have had BSOD issues since the first couple of weeks that I have had it. I have tried a lot of my own troubleshooting to no avail. I even brought it into a PC repair shop as well. Using BlueScreen viewer, I can see that the problem driver is listed as ntoskrnl.exe. Looking at the minidump files, I also see a mention of a USB. I usually see IRQL errors or Kernel Security Check Failure during a BSOD. However, the majority of this is like a foreign language to me. Below is all the troubleshooting I have tried.

Troubleshooting:
- Reseated RAM, tried 2 other sets as well (same brand, same speeds)
- Reapplied thermal paste to CPU
- Checked device manager for out of date drivers (could not find any)
- Checked device manager for hidden devices
- Checked event viewer after crashes
- Enabled EXPO, lowered clock speeds
- Brought PC into shop, they were unable to replicate a BSOD in their test enviornment. (Stress tested system and said components were stable, no overheating.)
- I have also tried some regedits, changed windows defender settings, as well as BIOS changes. However, I cannot 100% recall what it was I changed.
- Repaired windows 11

Link to latest 3 BSOD minidumps: BSOD

If anyone is willing to take a look it would be greatly appreciated!

Specs List:
-------------------------------
CPU: Ryzen 9 7950x3D
GPU: Gigabyte 4070 Ti
RAM: G.Skillz Trident DDR5 32 GB 6000mzh (EXPO enabled, speed lowered to 5800)
WINVER: Windows 11 22H2

Please let me know if more info is required.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, etc.?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacvity, how full?

= = = =

Regarding "- Repaired windows 11"

Specifically what was done?

Suggestions (if not done):

Also look in Reliability History/Monitor (noted that you looked in Event Viewer) Reliability History/Monitor is more user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns.

Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Run "dism" and "sfc /scannow".

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Note: do stay out of the registry. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after a full, verified sytem backup along with the registry itself.

Is all important data backed up?

Zphere

Prominent
Oct 1, 2023
PSU: Corsair SF1000L, 1000w, a little over a year old (ordered new from Newegg), Computer is used for pretty much daily gaming.

Disk Drives: Samsung 990 2TB SSD (293 GB free from 1.81 TB) + Samsung 980 1TB SSD (506 GB free from 930 GB)

-----------------------------
For the windows 11 repair, I went to settings > system > recovery > Fix problems using Windows Update. I also ran all Windows updates available as well as updating to Win 11 23H2.

I've also just now checked reliability monitor but do not see anything that would indicate a pattern. The windows troubleshooter(s) did not find any issues from what I can tell.

I have run SFC and DISM scans in the past but ran them again just now. SFC did find corrupt files and DISM did not.

The regedit I made was adding a DWORD for LSA/Credential Guard as I have been seeing some items in event viewer related to that. But it seems to have done nothing lol.

And yes, I have my data backed up.