[SOLVED] Phanteks Enthoo Pro case fan options

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi all! I am considering getting the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case (SE ver)
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-SpecialEdition.html

It comes with 2 front fans and 1 in the back. My current case (Corsaid 650D) has a similar configuration except that it also came with an additional fan on the top.

I wonder why Phanteks didn't also include an exhaust fan on the top to help with thermals. I am not great with figuring out air flow. If I add additional fans to the top of this case, would I actually be making it worse?

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Generally speaking, that case has always been a good buy, so it makes sense to sell it without a fan rather than for $10-15 more with an additional fan given the number of people in the $100-and-up range who are hobbyists and either already have fans, have different fans they prefer, or a top radiator. Two fronts and a back fan included is a fairly typical configuration in this price range; it's a good compromise between people who just want included fans and people who don't want to pay more for fans they're not going to use. Companies would prefer to not have more SKUs than they need.

Heck, the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic doesn't come with any fans since most people rather not pay more to get included fans on that.

Ralston18

Titan
No "exhaust fan on the top": maybe cost cutting or maybe the fan is not needed.

Different fans: Corsaid vs Phanteks. RPM's, airflow volume, fan sizes, etc..

Are you planning to install watercooling? That also must be considered....

Read Phanteks' Case User Manual - click the "Manual" tab shown in the Phanteks link you provided.

Physically numbered Page 19 - presents various fan options.

Case Specifications also lists out fan options.

What fans do you have or did you receive?

Reactions: bumblebee953

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
No "exhaust fan on the top": maybe cost cutting or maybe the fan is not needed.

Different fans: Corsaid vs Phanteks. RPM's, airflow volume, fan sizes, etc..

Are you planning to install watercooling? That also must be considered....

Read Phanteks' Case User Manual - click the "Manual" tab shown in the Phanteks link you provided.

Physically numbered Page 19 - presents various fan options.

Case Specifications also lists out fan options.

What fans do you have or did you receive?

I'm not planning on any water cooling. Just an NH-D15.

I haven't ordered the case yet so I don't have any fans. If you're talking about my Corsair case, the top exhaust is a 200mm I believe.

Ralston18

Titan
NH-D15 being:

https://www.enostech.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black-cpu-air-cooler-review/

Just for the benefit of anyone else following your thread. Please verify that I provided the applicable link.

Again, I will suggest that you also read the CPU cooler's User Guide Manual.

Along with the applicable User Guides/Manuals for any cases under consideration.

Details matter. Read all of the fine print and caveats. Visit the manufacturer's websites to read FAQs and peruse forums.

Airflows overall, are not difficult. For the most part if more "cooling" air is exhausting the system than entering then air flows out taking heat with it.

If more air is being pushed in than can get out then the "bottleneck" could trap heat both directly or in places out of the air flow currents.

Google "Tutorial computer case air flows". Do some reading and research.

Improve your "air flow" knowledge and skills. That knowledge will help you identify both a case and a configuration that will meet your build's requirements.

Reactions: bumblebee953

DSzymborski

Titan
Generally speaking, that case has always been a good buy, so it makes sense to sell it without a fan rather than for $10-15 more with an additional fan given the number of people in the $100-and-up range who are hobbyists and either already have fans, have different fans they prefer, or a top radiator. Two fronts and a back fan included is a fairly typical configuration in this price range; it's a good compromise between people who just want included fans and people who don't want to pay more for fans they're not going to use. Companies would prefer to not have more SKUs than they need.

Heck, the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic doesn't come with any fans since most people rather not pay more to get included fans on that.

Solution

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
NH-D15 being:

https://www.enostech.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black-cpu-air-cooler-review/

Just for the benefit of anyone else following your thread. Please verify that I provided the applicable link.

Again, I will suggest that you also read the CPU cooler's User Guide Manual.

Along with the applicable User Guides/Manuals for any cases under consideration.

Details matter. Read all of the fine print and caveats. Visit the manufacturer's websites to read FAQs and peruse forums.

Airflows overall, are not difficult. For the most part if more "cooling" air is exhausting the system than entering then air flows out taking heat with it.

If more air is being pushed in than can get out then the "bottleneck" could trap heat both directly or in places out of the air flow currents.

Google "Tutorial computer case air flows". Do some reading and research.

Improve your "air flow" knowledge and skills. That knowledge will help you identify both a case and a configuration that will meet your build's requirements.

I have a general understanding of airflow.

My Corsair case came stock with 1 front intake fan and 2 exhaust fans, one in the rear and one at the top of the case. Without going into too detailed calculations with CFMs and whatnot, it seems like a negative pressure airflow situation. That said, I haven't noticed too much dust build up and it's overall very manageable.

It seems with the Phanteks, it's the reversed with 2 front fans and just 1 exhaust in the back. But I'm not really sure how much a missing top exhaust would compromise thermal performance, compared to my Corsair.

I can always just stick with stock first and observe the temperature readings and go from there. But just wondering what everyone's experience is with this case already (ie. do people get the extra top fan that without it would be too much of a positive air pressure with noticeably poorer thermals?) so I can save some time.