i have achieved this oc with the voltage set to 1.360

currently running prime 95 for 2+ hours

and how are the temps??

plz suggest!

thanks in advance!

sid_nag17

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
i am using the ocz vendetta 2 with this cpu along with the general silicone paste that comes with it.

i am a noob at all this so if i use better thermal paste will the temp come down??

Yes, a couple of degrees. A standard for many users is Arctic silver 5. You may receive recommendations for other brands, but this has never failed me for many years.

I also lap my heatsinks, which I have found can shave off a couple of degrees as well. I cannot recommend lapping your CPU heatspreader as it will void your warranty, however I lap my processors as well.

As5 and lapping can increase cooling power by 5 C, in my experience. If interested in a max overclock, I say use any technique available to you to achieve the best results.

Shouldn't void the warranty.
You would remove any tim material from the base of the heatsink, and then sand it with increasingly fine grit sand paper until you produce a mirror-like shine. I start with about 400 grit and end up at about 2000 grit. Some people say to sand in one direction then sand 90 degrees but I typically sand in one direction.

I use a 6" square piece of glass for the higher grits, taping 1000 grit to one side and 1500 to the other to make the surface as flat as possible. Some folks use metal polish to bring it to a fine sheen, but the residue that remains needs to be removed as well. Before mounting I would clean the surface with a soft rag and some rubbing alcohol.

This usually takes me several hours to be able to shave in the surface. :) But it is worth it to me. So I guess you have to decide if lapping is worth a couple hours of work, not to mention removing your heatsink and reseating for a couple of degrees celcius.

ChodeManglerGTX285

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hey guys, I was able to achieve 3.711 ghz on air with 940 be, with zalman 9700 led 120mm fan heat sync combo.(150mm entire thing) plus artic silver five, fsb at 200 with multiplier at 18.5 and voltage on 1.4125 the temps max goes to 53C not too terribly hot and idles at around 43C it runs stable and if you want i'll show some proof if you need some. I thought it was kind of neat to get that high without going overboard, the old pc i had i was used to seeing 65C and it ran pretty stable, it was a Barton 3000+ amd chip single core.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Welcome to THG, ChodeManglerGTX28
Looks pretty similar to what I'm running. You may be able to up the FSB a little. If you can get to @204x18.5 that would get you to @3774, but it may take a little more CPU voltage~looks like you have a little room to work with.

ChodeManglerGTX285

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
204 fsb eh? did you have to increase your north or south bridge volts? the reason im asking is that i couldn't get to 205 fsb without the computer not wanting to boot; I know there are rules, thats why i've been looking around and i'm still searching for an answer, but then again going from 3.711 to 3.774 isn't that much performance unless your saying that 3.774 is the max you can get for 1.4125 volts and running stable at 100% for a few hours.... I'll look into it, ty.