Phenom II X2 vs Core 2 Duo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTT and QPI does give a nice performance boost but normally only in memory intensive apps used on servers. Thats why a Core 2 could beat a Athlon X2 when it came out and still held its own by beatting the first gen Phenoms.

Memory support itself and where it is is useless unless he plans on doing memory intensive tasks. If gaming or normal desktop stuff like we do then it makes no difference at all.

I for one would have a hard time on what to suggest here. I mean both do very well, the E8400 OCs like crazy too. And as for the quad unlock, I highly doubt AMD will let it happen this time. That would kill their profit margins. Remember that its basically the same quad core as its equal clocked counterpart just much lower in price. So if instead of someone buying a quad they pick up a dual and unlock the other two cores, AMD loses money.

I myself wouldn't do that anyways. I don't mind OCing, well moderate like my Q6600 @ 3GHz, but thats not the same as a bad core. I just don't see how safe it could be. Next thing you know your OS takes a dump and all your files are corrupted.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Im done here I hope you have at least checked the specs and benchmarks of the two, compared the life/price/performance of the products, and upgradeability of the platforms they are installed on. Have a nice day and dont feed the trolls.................

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
no I appologize I was not implying Either one of you are trolls Im just generally speaking. Dont feed the trolls! lol

Not you two or any in particular. Just TROLLS!

You two have placed invaluable advice for future readers. Please dont mistake what I say.

G

Hi, guys.

Wich setup is better?:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
8GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X 800Mhz

(this I have now)

or

AMD Phenom II X2 545
Gigabyte Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
6GB DDR3 Apacer GOLDEN 1333Mhz

(I want to buy it)

---------------
thanks for answers

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hi, guys.

Wich setup is better?:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
8GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X 800Mhz

(this I have now)

or

AMD Phenom II X2 545
Gigabyte Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
6GB DDR3 Apacer GOLDEN 1333Mhz

(I want to buy it)

---------------
thanks for answers
Id recommend the athlon II x3 435 or the x4 620. Either of these kills the 545 and 550 in most apps and multithreaded games, it only gets beat in single thread games and not by much.

G

Is Athlon II X3 435 better than Phenom II X2 545???
But Athlon don't have 6MB L3 cache ... only 1,5MB L2

G

Hmm...interesting...
Can unlocking 4th core do any damage to the processor if something goes wrong?
----------
If I don't want to overclock, is there possibility to unlock 4th core??

Thank you very much for all your answers

G

I have already buy the Phenopm II prosesor from Sunflower Electronics Aizawl. I hope I have choosed a good one.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Wow somebody resed my thread!

I ended up getting an E8200 off of ebay for $90 and overclocking it to 3.2GHz and I'm happy with it, although I'm sure the amd chip would have been fine too but at the price I paid for the e8200 and cheap mobo I'm satisfied.

chaoscreater

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
guys, get the MSI motherboard if you want to unlock the 4th core on e.g. a Phenom 2 X2 555 Black Edition.

I know this coz i spend 2 days on my research on this, all the decent MSI boards have the feature to unlock, in fact that's what they advertised as their main features/overview on their website.

For example, the MSI 770-C45 or MSI 760GM-E51 can both unlock.

I only just upgraded my HTPC 2 days ago and got the X2 555 Black Edition and the MSI 760GB-E51 and unlocked to 4 cores and OC to 3.6GHZ with stock cooler.

Those 2 MSI boards are good for overclocking too, MSI boards have OC switch that you can use, and if i remember correctly, all the articles you find about unlocking hidden cores all use MSI boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.