Phenom II X4 955: AMD's Dragon Platform Evolves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I didn't mean it to be fair, I was just pointing out if you could afford a brand new 955 set up, you have to consider how close you could get with the i7.

The i7 does have a $70 break on the mb, but the cheaper AMD mb only give you about a $20-25 break ... most of the increased cost in the i7 is the MB and memory.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Chris, EQPlayer. I appreciate the replies regarding AM3 longevity. I expected it to be around a while, and you confirmed that.

I should clarify, though, that I'm not worried about a socket change, as I'm more interested in popping one the AM3 processors onto my current AM2+ board rather than a new build altogether. A motherboard change to AM3, without whatever the RD8XX chipset may bring to the platform when it finally comes along, seems to simply offer DDR3 support at this juncture. DDR3 can easily be perceived as an added expense instead of a feature, depending upon how one uses their PC. The expense point only increases should the user already have some DDR2-800, 1066, or better in their current setup. Chris's final comments about the "already-efficient memory subsystem" accentuate that point.

With the new chipset so far off, there's plenty of time for AMD to bring in a handful of new CPUs to the AM3 marketplace if they desire or plan to do so. We saw a plethora of AM2 and AM2+ CPUs appear rather quickly at times, which leaves me wondering if or how soon we will see the same for AM3. That makes me a little hesitant to drop ~$250 now on this 955 while wondering if their next flagship is right around the corner.

Though, I can't argue the fact that any of the Phenom II's would be a huge increase in performance over my current X2, and this one would absolutely obliterate mine...

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I thought the X4 955 was kinda close to the i7 920. If you want the faster CPU go with the i7 920, but if you can't spned the extra get the X4 955.
Hopefully, Intel will drop prices on the i7 series just to be safe (let's hope)!

G

isn't this a review of the updated dragon platform? Why conduct the tests with geforce cards then?!

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Also i was wondering about the comparison to the q9400 and e8400, which run at $179 and $129 at MCenter. With a dual ddr2/3 lga775 board running as low as $75, these are competitive upgrade routes and it'd be interesting to know how much more performance the 955 gets you.

americanbrian

Distinguished
As is pointed out on the UK site, why mention the dragon platform and then stick a Nvidia card in it? Wouldn't the real test be to go for the radeon 4890?

Surely this would have shown a clearer difference with the i7's gaming benchmarks as well.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I agree with DKZ. If this is a test of the "Dragon" Platform, shouldn't we be running the benchmarks, power consumption, AMD overdrive tests, etc with an AMD 4890?

G

"If you're using it on an AM3 platform, you can install DDR3-1333, though it should be noted that only one module per channel works at that frequency."

What does "one module per channel works at that frequency" mean ? I have read this phrase in these reviews and dont understand.

joejamesatou

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I am not surprised, but this article has several fallacies. First, quit calling the 9500s a $400 processor. According to your own site the price is now $320. I can buy it right now on newegg for $350.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cpu-i7-core-prices,7603.html

Why not just say that it performs the same as a regular Core 2 Quad 9500 that is actually a competitor instead of dismissing it in the end as a processor that doesn't belong?

Secondly, why not call the X4 955 a waste of money, which it is. A 955 costs $245 and a X4 940 costs $189. For that 25% premium you get less than a 10% performance increase? It doesn't oc' noticeably better?

Why not show performance per watt? That's been in almost every CPU article lately. Or how about performance per dollar on a graph?

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hmm, I am still waiting for TH to have a AMD vs Intel comparison.
As in teh 955 with 4890 vs a i7 (doesnt really matter what vid maker). Espeically at each price point.

Either way being an old AMD fan, I am glad to see thier Phenom IIs making thier way up.

G

A nice review!
But does it makes sense to anyone, that it would probably be more beneficial to buy an SSD for faster system performance, then upgrade to the newest phenom II?

I mean, CPU, RAM, GPU, all these Chip based items are already very fast, and yet we're still running a harddrive that with it's latency will only get 20MB/s transfer rate...

I'm sure when playing a game or encoding video/audio it's nice to be a couple of seconds faster, or have a couple of FPS more, but I think you'll get better results out of swapping a HD with a SSD.

Just mentioning the thought for those wanting to upgrade their PC's.
BTW,I just read the Core2Quad Q9950, and was very pleased with it's powerspecs!
We're almost getting to notebook powerconsumption on desktops!

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]A nice review!But does it makes sense to anyone, that it would probably be more beneficial to buy an SSD for faster system performance, then upgrade to the newest phenom II?I mean, CPU, RAM, GPU, all these Chip based items are already very fast, and yet we're still running a harddrive that with it's latency will only get 20MB/s transfer rate...I'm sure when playing a game or encoding video/audio it's nice to be a couple of seconds faster, or have a couple of FPS more, but I think you'll get better results out of swapping a HD with a SSD.Just mentioning the thought for those wanting to upgrade their PC's.BTW,I just read the Core2Quad Q9950, and was very pleased with it's powerspecs!We're almost getting to notebook powerconsumption on desktops![/citation]
SSDs are a bit overpriced for their benefit atm, and are having some issues with a lot of softwares. Maybe later on down the line they will overcome good ole rotarys but as for now it is not practicle to use them in test set ups.. at least imo

sassan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]A nice review!But does it makes sense to anyone, that it would probably be more beneficial to buy an SSD for faster system performance, then upgrade to the newest phenom II?I mean, CPU, RAM, GPU, all these Chip based items are already very fast, and yet we're still running a harddrive that with it's latency will only get 20MB/s transfer rate...I'm sure when playing a game or encoding video/audio it's nice to be a couple of seconds faster, or have a couple of FPS more, but I think you'll get better results out of swapping a HD with a SSD.Just mentioning the thought for those wanting to upgrade their PC's.BTW,I just read the Core2Quad Q9950, and was very pleased with it's powerspecs!We're almost getting to notebook powerconsumption on desktops![/citation]

Price here is a great factor, right now their using Market skimming so their selling them at very high prices so those who can afford it at those prices can go and purchase them.

Once they see a decline they will use rebates and bring the prices down. Which would be 1 year or 2 year usually in the product life cycle specially in electronics.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Q9550s FTW, cant wait to get my hands on a Q9650... speaking of which, hey Tom's, (cangelini) you guys donate any of the test products you guys get for benchies, if so, please send me a spare Q9650 you might have, thanks! :)

fseedo

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Why test with an Nvidia GPU. the whole point is to see the new Dragon platform's potential and performance. by using the GeForce GTX 260 you are depriving us from an accurate account on whither the new dragon is worth the money.

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]fseedo[/nom]Why test with an Nvidia GPU. the whole point is to see the new Dragon platform's potential and performance. by using the GeForce GTX 260 you are depriving us from an accurate account on whither the new dragon is worth the money.[/citation]
agree

G

"We were only able to get 3.6 GHz out of the processor using AMD’s PIB heatsink/fan solution before peaking over 60 degrees C and losing Prime95 threads"

I'm sure that's a world record for stock heatsinks on a quad, most people don't get above 3.8 with any heatsink, period. What does the $1000 i7 965 EE get on it's heatsink? Probably 3.33 if you're lucky.

G

For 230 dollars you can purchase an intel quad 8200 set-up which surpasses the phenom 920($250) and is within a marginal oscillation between surpassing and being surpassed by mere points of the phenom 940(299). At least in gaming, so amd has still failed to truly compete with intel.
However lets hope nobody realizes this and believes otherwise. As that last thing we want is a monopoly of the most expensive compononet in one of the world's biggest markets.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I would understand if Tom's wanted to use the GTX 260 to have a more even test with the Core i7, but this was supposed to be about the Dragon Platform.......

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mason2832[/nom]For 230 dollars you can purchase an intel quad 8200 set-up which surpasses the phenom 920($250) and is within a marginal oscillation between surpassing and being surpassed by mere points of the phenom 940(299). At least in gaming, so amd has still failed to truly compete with intel. However lets hope nobody realizes this and believes otherwise. As that last thing we want is a monopoly of the most expensive compononet in one of the world's biggest markets.[/citation]
Umm, whats the word I'm looking for...

O yea, BULL$H*T! For starters, any 'setup' you get for $230 is going to be crap. Second, I want to see the benchmarks where the Q8200 can outperform a Q9300, which has been generaly accepted to be neck-and-neck with the PII 920. And finally, your PII prices are terribly inflated, the 920 can be had for as little as $190, the 940 has a regular list price of $215 on newegg.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
When i first learned of Socket AM3 I thought one could purchase an AM3 CPU and an AM3 Motherboard and use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory as they wish. Was I wrong about the AM3 Motherboards? Can they only use DDR3? I was hopeing to get AM3 MB and just use cheap DDR2 for now and upgrade to DDR3 in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.