Question Phenom II X4. Stock cooler. Fan at RPM 4400. Doesn't change.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
CPU fan always very noisy. Miniature jet engine.
CPU temp @ 65C
CPU Fan RPM @ 4400. always been like this.

If this RPM is too high I'm unsure of the next logical step(s)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The stock cooler that came with that processor (released about 2010) may well be a THREE-pin fan. The only way to control the speed of such a fan is if the mobo fan header (CPU_FAN in this case, we presume) is set to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). If the header is using the new PWM Mode, that fan will always run full speed.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
The stock cooler that came with that processor (released about 2010) may well be a THREE-pin fan. The only way to control the speed of such a fan is if the mobo fan header (CPU_FAN in this case, we presume) is set to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). If the header is using the new PWM Mode, that fan will always run full speed.

Thanks for the response.
Can you tell me it idiot form please?

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Thanks for the response.
Can you tell me it idiot form please?

step 1 = enter your BIOS at start-up, step 2 = find the voltage control section in your BIOS program, step 3 = Change that found voltage setting to "DC Mode" instead of any other selections/modes in the list. step 4 = SAVE Bios and exit/restart.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First step is to examine and confirm the fan is the 3-pin design. Look very closely at the cable of wires from the fan to the CPU_FAN header on the mobo. Count the wires (and holes in the connector on its end). There will be either 3 or 4. If it has 3 wires, it is a 3-pin older style fan.

Next, post back here exactly what mobo you have - maker and model number or model name. Then we can look up its manual and advise what is possible in its BIOS Setup options, and how to do that.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Thank you for these steps. I shall do.

Wires Black/Red/Yellow/Blue from the fan to the MB. (CPU-FAN)

Motherboard :ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO e4840_m4a785td-m evo

Can't locate a voltage setting in the BIOS.

(I was going to post some pics but don't see how.)

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The colour sequence you cite is the normal colours for a true 4-pin CPU cooler fan from AMD. So my 3-pin suspicion is wrong. Your mobo CPU_FAN header should be able to control its speed. Tell us what maker and exact model number of mobo you have. Also, where on that mobo is this fan plugged in?

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
The colour sequence you cite is the normal colours for a true 4-pin CPU cooler fan from AMD. So my 3-pin suspicion is wrong. Your mobo CPU_FAN header should be able to control its speed. Tell us what maker and exact model number of mobo you have. Also, where on that mobo is this fan plugged in?

Motherboard :ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO e4840_m4a785td-m evo
Plugged in to FAN CPU on the MB
Is there some other exact MB model # and if so how do I find it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That info got the right manual for me, so thanks. This mobo's BIOS does not have a lot of fine detail features on fan control. It has only three fan headers, of which only the CPU_FAN one is pertinent to your situation. That is where your CPU cooler fan is plugged in. The only item I note for you to check is mentioned on manual p. 2-17, under "Smart Q-FAN Function". That is the way to activate the automatic fan speed control. The manual say that, by default, this is set to "Disabled", so the mobo would NOT try to control fan speed. IF that is what you find in your BIOS Setup screen, change it to ENabled.

OK, back up. You said you have little experience with this stuff, so I'll walk you through. Start with the manual, p. 2-5. BIOS Setup is the built-in utility for customizing a number of settings in your basic system. It consists of many screens with menu items to observe current settings and make changes. To get into this system, you must re-start your system and immediately push and HOLD DOWN the "Del" key. If you only tap the key, it may not notice your simple tap. Wait while the system goes through a few start-up things and then shows you the main opening screen of Setup (p. 2-6). Use your cursor keys to move across the top to Power, then down in the middle of the screen to the item HW Monitor Configuration, and hit Enter. See p. 2-17, Section 2.5.5 for the items in that menu. Use the cursor-down key to get to the Smart Q-FAN Function item, then choose the Enabled option. (Usually do that by highlighting the option and hitting Enter or Space Bar.) Use the Esc key to go back to the Main Menu, then at the top go over to Exit Menu and hit Enter. See p. 22, choose Exit and Save Changes to save your new setting and reboot.

This should tell your mobo to use its automatic fan speed control for the CPU cooling fan. Its normal operation will start up that fan at full speed on every boot-up for a few seconds, then slow it down to whatever is needed according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. From then on as that temperature changes with workload, the fan speed will be re-adjusted continuously for you. Generally it will NOT run full speed, so it will be quieter, but you may see your CPU internal temperature running a little higher than it used to. After all, what is happening now is that the CPU is being over-cooled by a constant full speed fan.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't advise cleaning and re-pasting your CPU coooler. It's a slightly complicated job you may not be familiar with. Besides, the main reason for doing that is if your CPU is running too hot because even at full fan speed it is not being cooled enough. Your CPU temp does NOT seem that high. On the other hand, IF the change I detailed above still has your cooling fan constantly at full speed, then maybe there is a real problem with heat removal. So if that happens - the change makes no difference - post back here for further details.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Unfortunately setting Smart Q Fan to enabled made no difference:(

FWIW...It starts off quiet, when booting, and then ramps up and stays ramped up.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If that fan starts up slow and quiet when your system is cool, then speeds up as it warms up, then the automatic fan speed control system IS working. In that case, the fact is appears to run at full speed all the time says it is having difficulty keeping your CPU chip cooled. There are five things that could cause that.

1. The fan is worn and cannot actually run fast enough. This is NOT your situation if it says 4400 RPM.
  2. The thermal paste on between CPU lid and heatsink is poor and needs to be cleaned off and replaced. You CAN learn to do this properly, but read up on it first on the 'net so you are prepared.
  3. Somehow the heatsink mounting on the CPU has come loose, so it is making poor contact. If you grasp the heatsink and try to twist it or tilt it gently - do NOT yank on it! - it should NOT move. If it wiggles, there is a poor fastening, loose bolts, or something.
  4. Look carefully at the way the fan is connected to the heastink under it. Often it is by spring clips or by screws. If you can figure that out, you can remove the fan from the heatsink - this does NOT attempt to remove the entire assembly from the CPU. Once the fan is off, examine closely the FINS of the heatsink. There should be empty slots between them where air flows. I have seen photos of systems with the slots completely filled with old dust. If there's junk in there caregully clean that all out, then re-attach the fan.
  5. MAYBE this cooler system is just not good enough for your CPU. If it is the one supplied with that chip in the first place, it should be OK, even if not the best choice.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Thank you.
It's a project for me.
Should I just buy the thermal paste from Amazon or similar?
I'm even open to an improved cooler fan if it seems like a good idea.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you want to replace the cooler, maybe start another thread asking specifically for recommendations for your exact CPU chip. I do not have extensive experience in this area, but such a post certainly will get you a lot of opinions, some from very well-informed users.

I can tell you right now I'm using a system more recent that yours with a Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 cooler, and it really is VERY quiet. It is cooling an Intel Core i7-8700K CPU chip with TDP 95W. I admit, though, that I do not do much high-power work and virtually no gaming. Your CPU is rated at 125 W TDP (Total Dissipated Power). The Thermaltake unit has one fan and is rated for 150W and does fit on AMD 3 and 3+ chips and sockets.

I like the Noctua line of fans, and often see users happy with their air-based CPU cooler line. It that line their model NH-U12A unit has two fans (push / pull) and a high heat removal rating. On the Nocuta site they have a lengthy page about why the do not like the TDP rating system and have their own. That particular model has a high rating in their system and does fit your chip type and socket. It is also available in a black model it that appeals to you. A thinner similar model (for not interfering with nearby RAM modules) is their NH-U12S with only 1 fan and a lower heat removal rate, but still recommended for that chip.