Philips BDM4065UC vs HDTV

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I already have a Sony Bravia 42" LED TV being used as my PC monitor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W705B-42-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00HZAVA70) which is great, it has a low response time (for a TV), has an awesome picture in general, and generally works well as a PC monitor. So my question is, considering my PC is only really capable of maxing games graphics settings out at 1080p 60fps (i7-4790k & EVGA 980ti FTW) would I benefit from the Philips display linked below? And when I say benefit I mean will I notice any improvement to the picture at all (at 1080p)?

The reason I've started looking at a proper monitor is because a game I've started playing (Squad) has a test firing range and I happened to mention on a forum that I struggled to hit a target at 700m with iron sights and could barely even see the targets beyond that at all so couldn't hit them, but someone else said they could see the targets beyond no problem and could just about hit a target at 1000m with a bit of luck. They mentioned that the reason I was struggling was probably down to the fact that I was using a TV not a monitor. I'm sure he also mentioned though that he too was at 1080 also

Is that likely to be the case, ie: with both at 1080p will I see more with the Philips? Or is it more likely that it's a resolution issue, ie: ill see more at a higher resolution regardless of which TV or Monitor I use? My gut feeling here is that it's the resolution that will play a bigger part in what I see rather than whether I'm using a TV/monitor as the way I see it, 1080p is 1080p, you can't see what isn't there.

The reason I bought a 1080p TV is because I like a really large monitor and my PC isn't currently capable of playing 4K games at 60fps, especially as some of my games do not support SLI (the main reason I only have 1 980ti and not 2).

Philips
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/philips-bdm4065uc-40-inch-ultra-hd-monitor,review-33334.html

Hello,

Your TV is way better than the monitor you listed in terms of picture quality. And the fact that you can't see the targets properly could be the fact that you haven't calibrated your TV, I'm assuming?

1. in order to see detail the way you're supposed to, is first you want to make sure the TV isn't in 16:9 picture mode, this is called overscanning, and it blurs fine detail on screen.

2. I would make sure you're using the Cinema/Theater/Movie picture preset, and after selected, verify the color tone is set to Warm.

3. make sure that you're not using PC mode, if available, this must always be OFF, and never ON, it further blurs the fine details like there's no tomorrow.

4. To speed this up, it would be helpful if you posted a photo (not screenshot!) of your TV, as it would help to see for myself how wrong the picture actually looks.

5. Make sure all dynamic settings such as contrast, brightness, color, etc, are OFF, you don't want any of them.

However, I can't stress enough, your TV, is many times better than that Philips BDM4065UC, if you can't play at 4k, and sit close enough to spot all the extra detail available, then don't use 4k, it's a waste of money in your case.

Questions?

All the best!

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the detailed reply! If I get a minute before work tomorrow I'll post my current TV settings and a photo of it, do you want me to use any certain image on the desktop so you have a reference you can view at your end also?

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Here are my current TV settings, as you can see I've kept anything that 'enhances' the picture off to minimize post processing and reduce input times.

I've only listed anything that's remotely picture related:

SETTINGS / DISPLAY / PICTURE

Picture Mode = Game Standard
Backligt = MAX
Contrast = MAX
Brightness = 50
Colour = 50
Hue = 0
Colour Temperature = Neutral
Sharpness = 50
Noise Reduction = Off (Sub options now greyed out)
Reality Creation = Off (Sub options now greyed out)
Smooth Gradation = Off (Sub options now greyed out)

SETTINGS / DISPLAY / PICTURE / ADVANCED

Black Corrector = Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer = Off
Gamma = 0
Auto Light Limiter = Off
Clear White = Off
Live Colour = Off
White Balance (R Gain = 0 G Gain = 0 B Gain = 0 R Bias = 0 G Bias = 0 B Bias = 0)
Detail Enhancer = Off
Edge Enhancer = Off
LED Motion Mode = Off

SETTINGS / DISPLAY / SCREEN

Screen Format = Full
Auto Format = Full (Sub options now greyed out)
Auto Display Area = Off
Display Area = Full Pixel (Sub options now greyed out)

SETTINGS / DISPLAY / VIDEO INPUT SETTINGS

Colour Matrix = Auto
Dynamic Range = Full
SBM (Super Bit Mapping) = Off
Colour System = Not available, greyed out

SETTINGS / EXTERNAL INPUTS

AV PRESET = 'PC' for HDMI 1 (where my PC is connected)

SETTINGS / SYSTEM SETTINGS

Scene Select = Game

SETTINGS / SYSTEM SETTINGS / ECO

Power Saving - Off
Light Sensor = Off

Also here's a photo, but as you'll already know a lot has been lost by taking a photo with a phone, the photo really does not look that much like it does in real life:

95D6CFC0-4483-45A7-93BA-684DECF65AA0_zpsxu6tfl6h.jpg

Thanks, that must of taken a long time, I appreciate this. A couple things

Backligt = MAX
Contrast = 90 (or 5% lower)
Brightness = 50
Colour = 50
Hue = 0
Colour Temperature = Warm
Sharpness = 0

Now I don't know if changing the name of the Input changes the picture, because if your TV has got a mode which says "PC Mode", turn that off, and here are a few more things

Screen Format = Full
Auto Format = Full (Sub options now greyed out)
Auto Display Area = Off
Display Area = Full Pixel (Sub options now greyed out)

Just Scan, Dot-by-Dot, Screen Fit, does any of those exist in the aspect ratio setting? If not, which ones do you see?

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Under SCREEN / SCREEN FORMAT I have: FULL, ZOOM, CAPTIONS, NORMAL, WIDE ZOOM

Under SCREEN / AUTO FORMAT I have: On, Off

Under SCREEN / AUTO DISPLAY AREA I have: On, Off

Under SCREEN / DISPLAY AREA I have: Full Pixel, -1, Normal

With SCREEN / AUTO FORMAT ON I get the option to change my aspect ratio from: normal, wide zoom or off BUT it stays locked 4:3 (maybe that is to do with Game or PC mode?

I will try your tweaks above, go to the 'Firing Range' in that game and report back. That will more than likely be tomorrow morning now though as I have to go out to work now :-(

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Thanks, I already have it set to FULL PIXEL though.

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
So my aim here then for now is to put sharpness to zero (making my text very blurry) then try to find out which settings on the TV will make the text sharp again without touching the sharpness setting?