Review Philips Momentum 279M1RV Gaming Monitor Review: Packed With Features and Class-Leading Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
"That means it won’t quite deliver the dynamic contrast of a full-array local-dimming (FALD) model, but it will render solid HDR with deep blacks and bright highlights. "

Stopped reading right there.
I call bs as no IPS with edge lit dimming is actually capable of delivering a real HDR experience.

Then looked at price and laughed even harder. $750!!!
Phillips be smokin crack, LMAO

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
"That means it won’t quite deliver the dynamic contrast of a full-array local-dimming (FALD) model, but it will render solid HDR with deep blacks and bright highlights. "

Stopped reading right there.
I call bs as no IPS with edge lit dimming is actually capable of delivering a real HDR experience.
Absolutely. You need all three things to deliver any HDR experience: brightness, contrast and color gamut. And the contrast is what, 1000:1? Laughable. That's not "deep blacks." It's just a very bright SDR monitor with wide color gamut, nothing special. In fact, it's just the Philips version of the 27GP950, sharing the same panel.

On an unrelated note, I wonder whether the KVM switch is as broken as in the 329M1RV. I'm 99% sure it is. Because they call it a KVM switch except... there is no freaking switch! There are exactly two ways to switch between the connected devices. The first, use the "auto-switch" feature: turn one PC off, the monitor will automatically switch to the other. The second, dig all the way through the OSD to find the carefully hidden switch functionality. And nope, you can't set it up to some shortcut, like moving the joystick into a certain direction.

This is the reason why I chose the M32U over the 329M1RV. Here, the switch comes with a lot of flaws, but at least it's there, and it actually works.

Philips has a very unique talent of making a horrible mess of UX. I had a Philips TV where plugging earphones in didn't mute the speakers. Instead, you had to mute them manually and then, to adjust the phones' volume, you had to dig through the menu to find it because the volume buttons on the remote control only controlled speakers regardless of whether earphones are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.