Phishers Going After WoW Subscribers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
seriously your just finding this out now........I have been getting those emails for almost 5 years now on a daily basis lol. And I havent even played in like 3 1/2 years. This isn't news, it was news like 4 to 5 years ago lol.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I get at least 1 of these a day now, nothing really new. If there is a true problem with my account I'll deal with it when I'm unable to log into it anymore until then I don't read a single email related to wow that comes into my email which is linked to my battlenet account. Surprised anyone would fall for this now seeing their not new anymore.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How did this make the news section? This has been going on for the past 2 years pretty steadily. I get one or two of these emails every week (to my spam email address that is not associated with my wow account). Here's the trick, use Gmail and make sure to use the plus sign feature. Example, blizzard things my email is johnsmith+blizwow@gmail.com when it's really just johnsmith@gmail.com but I know if the email is really from blizzard it will be sent to johnsmith+blizwow@gmail.com and if its not then it's a phisher.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I seldom say that, but man, talk about OLD news! I've been receiving those, with slights variants, for months. I'm still receiving some even though I cancelled my account weeks ago. I'm even receiving some for games I never played (Runescape).

It's sad that people fall for that. It's better than the Nigerian prince I guess...

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
While this is old news (I've been getting these for over a year).

The link they provide in the email takes you to an impressive replica of Blizzards battle.net login page.

At least from that standpoint they've finally figured out how to get the spellchecker to work and have a believable site for you to give away all your personal information.

I suppose the days of getting error-riddled scam messages are coming to an end.

greenback

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
anybody getting caught by these deserves to have thier account hacked I get about 3 of these a day just check the links they are normally spelt wrong somewhere like the 1 here it has worlbofwarcraft not worldofwarcraft

G

im so glad I ebayed my shLT at year 2, right after that dam sand expansion was added - got 300 buck for a lvl 60 lock, some rang rang in cali bought it lol

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Web surfers should always be careful in providing personal information through email, moreover using common sense will be enough to prevent people from falling into these phishing scams.

Status
Not open for further replies.