Phishers Going After WoW Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
It asks you for your secret question, and your answer? Boy, I hope nobody actually falls for that. If they do, they probably have a hard time breathing and blinking at the same time.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I first got this email about 6 months ago...

I am in the same boat as you, i dont have an active sub and the email account is not the correct one.
I bet this scam has nailed a few suckers.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've been getting these for years! They aren't just "going after" WoW subscribers recently.

That one actually had all the words spelled correctly, and proper English grammar. Some of them are actually hilarious! And they all end up in my Spam Folder, but I do forward them to Blizz (their Hack/Phishing email), so they can also go after them.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I am alway amazed and mystified on the stupidity of people using computers. We had a actual police officer that was phished not once but twice inside 6 months!

I need to flag down a passing flying saucer...I need to get off this planet very SOON!

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
At this point, anyone who clicks a link in ANY e-mail is playing with fire.

If you go ahead, click the link and then start punching in User/Password information, you're a stone-cold moron.

G

When I played I used to get them all of the time, so i made a new email address for only WoW and never got one after that

ezpk

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Gotta agree with the other folks on this one: You reply, you should be checked to make sure your IQ is at least double digits, and not harmful to society. This one is one of the better ones, with only the website mis-spelled, but, if you're falling for things like this, you probably also think some South African prince wants to give you his fortune, and gladly gave up your credit card info to obtain it. Long story short, ANY email asking for account info is checking to see how many people fail at life. Please tell your friends that need helmets and water wings, and pray that it's not too late.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
The Phishers get your email address from sites you register for. Whether it's guild registration on an unsecure site or applying for a membership for posting on a WoW-related site. What it really comes down to is you used your WoW email address to register somewhere and the phishers managed to get that information. This is why it is recommended to never use your login email to register for things. Keep those logins separate from everything. Also wise to make sure you don't get hit with malware (keyloggers etc). But you won't be receiving spam from a keylogger, you'll just log in and find your account compromised.

It all comes down to you the user. If you don't understand internet security, you're doing yourself a serious disservice. Amazes me that this is a Tom's article though. This stuff has been happening since the release of WoW 6 years ago. Guess the Tom's bloggers need a lesson in internet security as well.

illegalmonkey

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
this is news worthy? for real? this has been going on for years Tom, YEARS! i havent played Wow in about 2 years and i still get one or two of these A DAY. it's retarded. they always show as coming from noreply@blizzard.com so i can't straight up block them for fear of inadvertently blocking a real Blizzard email. I just make sure to log into my Battle.net account now and then to make sure it still belongs to me.

dgingeri

Distinguished
This is new somehow?? I've been getting stuff like this on my hotmail account since this game opened. Funny thing is that my hotmail account isn't attached to my battle.net account. So, for that reason alone I identify these as spam/phishing immediately. (I even once logged into one of these phishing sites with the hotmail account and a bogus password just to throw them off. I then emailed that info to Blizzard to see if they could track where the login would come from and catch the people doing it, but I never heard anything back from Blizzard about it.)

heerobya

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Never click anything in an email.
Navigate your browser to battle.net and log in, never use a link!

Also make sure you get your addons from a secure site that verifies them like curse.

G

Lol, I've been getting these e-mails for well over a year. Nothing new.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
This email has been around in many forms since Burning Crusade, maybe even a bit longer. What's sad is that it can look good enough to fool people and some of my idiot friends have fallen for it.

stjohn70

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
In other news, users have been leaving MySpace in favor of Facebook...
Come on - let's not report on something that is 3+ years old unless there is some new development in it.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
With the mass amount of WoW players these particular emails are sent out to everyone because the chances they land in a WoW players inbox is pretty high. I too have recieved and have been recieving similar emails for years and have never played WoW more than 2 hours of a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.