[SOLVED] Physical compatibility - Heatsinks on M.2 Slots and on M.2 SSDs.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
This is to better understand how to go about installing M.2 SSD with heatsink on to an M.2 slot that has a full heatsink covering both M.2 slots and chipset. I am yet to buy these parts. I am bit unclear how the two will fit.

I have shortlisted X570 motherboard AM4 and Corsair PCIe x4 M.2 SSD.

The SSD comes with its own heatsink. See below photo.

qVy0TFk.png

The X570 board has two M.2 slots and both share a single full heatsink that also covers the chipset. See below photo.

mQEDbFO.png

How do I go about installing Corsair SSD that has its own heatsink in this setup? Can the mobo's M.2 heatsink be completely taken off? Will the chipset be affected?
Thanks and regards.

Solution
Off the ssd itself, it's not a strong tape and if you watch any videos on Gen4 NVMe installs on motherboards with included heatshielding or even fan/heatsink combos, it'll show you how to go about it.

The board heatsink is board dependent, some like my Asus the heatsink on the m.2_1 slot is integral with the sound card, so necessary. Most are not and are cosmetic that also serve a purpose. Your choice to keep it or keep the m.2 heatsink.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Take the heatsink off the nvme. Pull the thermal tape off too as there will be pre-applied tape on the motherboard.

The Gen4 NVMe require heatsinks, they get excessively hot, but not all slots on all motherboards where they can be used actually have a built in heatsink. So the nvme comes with one, but it can be substituted for the motherboards.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks @Karadjgne. When you say 'Take the heatsink off the nvme ' do you mean to say off the mobo slot or off the SSD itself? Is the heatsink on SSD removable?
This board has 2 M.2 slots and the heatsink is a single piece that runs over the two as well as chipset. It is fixed at 3 places as you can see in the above photo.
So can the entire single heatsink be removed from the board for always without affecting chipset?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Off the ssd itself, it's not a strong tape and if you watch any videos on Gen4 NVMe installs on motherboards with included heatshielding or even fan/heatsink combos, it'll show you how to go about it.

The board heatsink is board dependent, some like my Asus the heatsink on the m.2_1 slot is integral with the sound card, so necessary. Most are not and are cosmetic that also serve a purpose. Your choice to keep it or keep the m.2 heatsink.

Solution