Physical Copies Of 'Gears Of War 4' Require 11 GB Day-One Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
@rayden54, thankfully both xbox one and pc are offering pre-loads, so that gives you a few days to download it at a friends house, or at your house with that crappy dsl

Good to know, guess I'll pass on this one.

It'll be even more awesome in 10-15 years from now when you think, "I'm feeling nostalgic I'd like to play Gears of 4... Oh wait the server that hosted that 11 Gb file doesnt exist anymore."

I feel your pain RAYDEN54, I don't have broadband either. With my speeds, 11gb would be around a week or more of steady downloading which is exactly why I buy games on disc. I don't understand these 'patches' or 'updates' that are so huge they defeat the purpose of buying data on physical media.

Unfortunately for them they'll be waiting for customers like me who won't ever buy it. Won't be me waiting to download their poorly coded product. It's frustrating to me that it's become so commonplace for these massive patches the first day a game comes out. All that does is tells the community at large their product was pushed to market despite not being ready for primetime. I miss the good ol' days when it was common for a company to make a product that was ready to use and then decided to bring it to market.

G

Remember the days when games couldn't be patched? Back then there was something called quality control. These days, it seems they just want to ship it broken, "don't worry, we'll fix it later".

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Wow games are creeping up in size more and more. 54 gigs for the digital with patch, then 11gigs for the patch? I'm seeing more trouble for the future of physical media if they cant push beyond that 50 gig mark, especially for the push to higher resolutions.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I always wait a year to buy, sometimes two. They are then cheaper, you don't buy the ones that tuned out to be crap (NMS) on release day and they are usually patched by then.

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Thats not a patch that's a whole game and total BS. What about someone who is not connected to the net, I know few but they are out there. We should be able to sue them for this crap. They should have to recall all those diskx and destroy them as faulty and re-release disks that work.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Awesome. Way to go, modern AAA gaming!

I myself will instead be downloading Darkest Dungeon for less than half the price, 1/11th the size for the full game, and having probably 11 times the fun for something that will also probably have 11 times the content.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
oh.... another gears release, somehow the last gear survived on bundles of new console since the 360 was somehow popular, over the shelf / digital purchases were super low example Gears Remake on the PC,

this will be fail, I imagine not many people will be buying new xbox ones and the game will not sell,

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
"Even if you bought the physical copy of the game, you could choose to avoid the extra download time and just opt to play the PC version of the game" - So the patch is optional if playing on the PC?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
guys the reason for the patch is this.. Blu Ray Disc only hold 50GB, and even then, that's a dual layer blu ray.. A 3 layer and 4 layer blu ray would cost like $30 just for the media.

The reason there is a 11GB day 1 patch is because they couldn't fit the full game on the blu ray disc. All of the digital versions will have the patch included in the initial download. The PC Requirements are 80+GB of Hard drive space, this is a big beefy game with high quality assets. This is one of the first games to have HDR Textures and lighting ever released. I can't wait to see how amazing it looks running on a gtx 1080 with a HDR Display.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
If they weren't so cheap they could simply ship a 2 disc copy of the game, disc 1 game and disc 2 installation disc. This would solve the problem but like most companies these days there to cheap to pay royalties on two or three disc games now a days, which is why they try to encourage every one to shop digitally these days for games no royalty fees on digital games sold.

igimaru

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Luckily here in Okinawa 11 gb takes only a few minutes, and i'm only paying 25 dollars a month! Thank you non-oligopolized economy.

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I was under the impression the physical xbox one version does not give you access to the PC version. You have to buy the digital copy, which happens to display both xbox one and windows 10 logos on it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I feel really sorry for the low-bandwith gamer's with this title, 11gb is a darn big download on a slower connection - used to have that back in the days. But if on a high speed connection however the DL is of little consequence, would take me less than 2 mins if the DL server can handle it.

I'm with Druidsmark, such a simple solution to a minor problem. "Well it wouldn't fit on one disc" - "so use another disc?". I can only imagine if this were the case at drive through windows when buying fast food. Sorry, you only got 2/3 of your order. Why? It wouldn't all fit in the sack. Ever think to grab another bag? I'm so glad grocery stores weren't plagued by this conundrum, imagine if you could only shop for one bag of items at a time. lmao.

I would be willing to bet most, all but a few games I've bought came in some form of multidisc packaging with anywhere from 2 to over 8 discs. This really stumped them? The optics just don't bode well with their solution.

farhadd

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Ipanda is right, you need to purchase a digital copy for the "Xbox Play Anywhere" PC / Xbox One crossbuy program to apply. That way you're railroaded into paying $60 in the US (instead of getting a 20% discount from Amazon Prime or Best Buy gamers club etc.)

farhadd

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Ipanda is right, you need to purchase a digital copy for the "Xbox Play Anywhere" PC / Xbox One crossbuy program to apply. That way you're railroaded into paying $60 in the US (instead of getting a 20% discount from Amazon Prime or Best Buy gamers club etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.