[SOLVED] Pi / other SBC for Minecraft BE/PE (not a server) & casting mp4 to a Samsung Smart TV via exHDD

robbx213

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Summary:
I'm looking for a Single Board Computer to run Minecraft Bedrock Edition / Pocket Edition that can handle 3-4 people via LAN world-joining over WiFi (NOT a server). It also needs to be able to handle 1080p mp4/m4v movies (H.264, AAC, max ~2GB thanks to Handbrake) on a USB external Hard Drive (Seagate Backup Plus Hub 7.2TB, it's powered by its own wall wart, the TV won't recognize files regardless of file format / MBR via direct plugin for this or a USB thumbdrive). If it can handle being in an enclosed space (like our Dish Hopper does, no the Hopper won't play from the drive) and has HDMI, then I'll store it in there. If it would get so hot as to fail or start a fire, or has no HDMI, I need to be able to WiFi network share or cast to our Samsung TV (e.g., share the drive on our network and use a laptop to Win10 right click > Cast to Device > TV like I've been doing). I'm willing to spend a little extra (e.g., RasPi 4 over a 3 or less) for max CPU / RAM or for ease. The easier this entire process is, the better (e.g., less coding / command prompt work, more PnP).

The only device I've ever heard of is Raspberry Pi, but I can see from some quick searches there are MANY other SBCs out there.

Full story:
I have a decade-old ASUS G73JH that we were using to play Minecraft and cast movies to our TV. It's giving up the ghost and won't let my Omen17 connect to a LAN game/world. It worked about a week ago, last 2 days no. I have started a world on the Omen17, a Pavilion 16, a 2017 Fire tablet HD 10, and even an LG G Pad 8.3 V500 - every one of them works, lets the 3 of us join and play. I can't always use the Omen as the host because sometimes I do other things while my kids play, or sometimes I'm not home and I take it to school with me to record screen captures for education / instruction videos. But I want my account to be the host because I have all the Minecoin and add-ons. So we can't use the Pavilion or the Fire tablet because that's what the kids play on. I could use the LG, but I'd like to do a little more.

To be clear, I do NOT want a server like every other post I'm finding on the internet. I just want MCPE, like how it plays on the tablets, so that the 3 of us can play together by joining the world via LAN.

I'm considering a Pi / other SBC because I want to use an external USB Hard Drive, specifically my Seagate Backup Plus Hub 7.2TB, for movies. Currently NTFS but could be exFAT or FAT32 if needed. It has many movies and shows on it, most of them 1080p mp4/m4v, all Handbraked to ~15% their original BluRay file size using the Very Fast 1080 30fps H.264 AAC. Whatever laptop that's plugged into via USB, I can simply right click the file, Cast To Device, and choose our Samsung 65" TV un65h6203af in the living room and it plays. I can even share the drive on the home network and follow those steps from a different laptop.

The Cast To Device would be cool, but if these devices are small enough AND could reside in the closed entertainment cabinet without overheating problems (e.g., a Dish Hopper resides in there, warm to the touch, but no issues), then I would just plug it into the TV using HDMI. So obviously whatever I get needs WiFi for the Minecraft.

I'm willing to spend a little extra for max CPU / RAM or for the newest version of the device (e.g., a Pi 4 instead of a 3 or older).

Finally, I know a decent amount, but have no experience with Linux, Ubuntu, SBCs, etc. I've only ever heard of a Raspberry Pi before searching for alts recently. So I really need something that's nearly Plug n Play. I'm willing to install an OS, maybe some packets (is that the word?) for WiFi or mounting the USB exHDD, install MCPE, but that's about it. Too much and I'm going to get stressed out or have unsolvable problems.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
You start your education from RaspberryPi.org. Start one project at a time, until you feel comfortable with the environment.
  • if you want to start with media streamer, OpenElec is good start. For 4k support, you'll definitely want RPi 4 variant. To make it easier with backups, go with 8gb or 16gb SD car.
  • to make it a file server - look for either dedicated NAS setup, or totoruals how to add external hard drive to already existing setup (as in above OpenElec);
  • then add Minecraft servers.
Along the way - make image backup of the SD card so you can return to working setup if something goes wrong.
Stick with RPi. With millions of users around the globe, it has quite good ecosystem and you can find help around.

What you're asking for is - a media player with ide function of Minecraft server. Yes, you'll be struck to Linux, but with fancy GUI/DE, most of configuration / installation is mouse-click away.

robbx213

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
OK, thank you. Can you give me more details about where to research? Am I looking for "which Linux is most like Windows"? Or "which version of Linux runs Minecraft Pocket Edition"? Something else?

Where do I learn about making Linux either 'mount' the external USB drive to the home network so I can see the files from another laptop, or how to 'cast' from that xUSB through the Linux / RPi?

Stick with RPi. With millions of users around the globe, it has quite good ecosystem and you can find help around.

What you're asking for is - a media player with ide function of Minecraft server. Yes, you'll be struck to Linux, but with fancy GUI/DE, most of configuration / installation is mouse-click away.

You start your education from RaspberryPi.org. Start one project at a time, until you feel comfortable with the environment.
  • if you want to start with media streamer, OpenElec is good start. For 4k support, you'll definitely want RPi 4 variant. To make it easier with backups, go with 8gb or 16gb SD car.
  • to make it a file server - look for either dedicated NAS setup, or totoruals how to add external hard drive to already existing setup (as in above OpenElec);
  • then add Minecraft servers.
Along the way - make image backup of the SD card so you can return to working setup if something goes wrong.

Solution

robbx213

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Well, I ended up getting an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT i7-4590S for only $150 off eBay, 8GB RAM, 256GB SM841 SSD, Win10 key included. So much more power for about the same price.