Question Picking a budget phone - customization and bloat

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi guys,

Seems like my trusted phone is on its way out and I should look for a replacement.

I need to get something low-cost from a local service provider so the choice is limited. Devices available are e.g. Sony L3, Samsung J6+, LG K40, Motorola One and the like.

Anyway. Sometimes when I use other people's phones, I realize how good mine is because it doesn't come with any extra stupid bloat, and features work exactly how I want them, for example:

• the back button is on the right side. I've read that only some phones allow to remap these buttons
  • 1 swipe down from the top - notifications. 2nd swipe - quick settings screen (on some phones there's no quick setting screen, one needs to scroll left/right to find the right icon)
  • said quick settings screen in dark
  • face unlock (apparently it's not standard still? - yes I know the cheap version isn't very safe)
  • ability to have apps on the SD card (again apparently not all phones have this?)
  • no bloat apps (reviews still herald as a POSITIVE if the phone doesn't have pre-installed crap on it)

These are just some thing off the top of my head - little things which however I definitely need my phone to have. Now I can't very well personally test out each and every phone in this category, so I'm thinking what are the options to customize any phone in these little ways?

Maybe I should pick a model that's easiest to root and has the largest community of users rather than try to find the one phone with the least annoyances?

Ok I'm not even sure what I'm asking exactly. I just need a phone where the manufacturer doesn't think they know best what I need. If I'd want that, I'd get an Apple! I would customize my phone either way - disabling needless apps, using Nova Launcher etc. but the base still needs to be there without things fighting me.

So, any ideas?

jdwii

Splendid
Out of all of those phones I'd go for the k40 personally I recommend all my friends and family to order a refurbished LG V20 and a new battery. Looking at 150$ for a unlocked decent phone. Go with Cricket or total wireless make sure the phone is unlocked and supports Verizon or AT&T network(whatever works best in the area)

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks. Well I ended up with a Motorola G6 (standard) since they gave it to me for cheap, and it does mark all my basic tickboxes. It even has an Android 9 update. I did like the LGs I tried in the store though.

The fingerprint reader gestures are quite ingenious. No need for buttons and thy work in the same direction as the button layout I prefer. Although I don't understand why they couldn't place the back/apps buttons below the screen anyway. There is space there.

Now I need to figure out how to stuff the phone with my old data without employing the services of Big Brot-, er, I mean our good Uncle Google.