PICTURED: Gigabyte's M1405 with External GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This actually makes some sense. Example, college student can take it on the go but come back to his dorm room and link up for some gaming.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Where is the message 'can it play crysis'?
Just stop. Please just stop.

I'm down to getting one of these when it hits the market, if the price tags seems right. I love the brush metal finish on it.

israil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Why has it taken this long for a manufacturer to come out with a docking station with an external GPU?

omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
this seems like the first generation of a platform that i hope becomes extremely popular. I'm sure the gt220 is just a trial run and if they sell well, there will be much more powerful upgrades in the future.

hmmm.... i wonder if there's a way to change/mod the gpu for a different one like the gtx 260 or the HD 5770.

Well at least from the sounds of it, the gpu works on the laptop screen and not just an extranal screen like most other external gpus for laptops.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]israil[/nom]Why has it taken this long for a manufacturer to come out with a docking station with an external GPU?[/citation]

That's not entirely true - a looooong time ago, my Dell C600's docking station provided you with a PCI card so that you can add an external graphics card.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Asus actually came up with the idea first on a project called the XG Station. Gigabyte just turned their version into a docking station and also into a project that didn't fail. Good Job.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Why a GT220? I mean if it's external and has it's own power supply out side of the laptop, why not a 5870 or better?[/citation]
The GPU might only have a PCIe x1 connection to the graphics. If it does, then anything faster than the GT220 will be bandwidth limited. Now, if they used the new intel CPUs with integrated graphics when undocked and then used the available PCIe x16 lanes for the external GPU (if such a mobile chipset allows this and exists), then that would be nice!

G

That's a really, really good idea. I never comment on news here but this is great - I am a college student, and I would like to take a small laptop with good battery life to school. If I could simply add an external GPU when I got home, it would safe having a desktop. That's the only reason I have a desktop and laptop - gaming laptops are prohibitively expensive compared to gaming desktops.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
For now, they developped the 220. Who says they won't do it for the ATI line in the future? This is more like a proof of concept for now.

douglaskuntz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hm.. I remember the old Apple Powerbook Duo's docking station that had it's own videocard seperate from what the PB Duo had onboard. It also allowed up to 2 NUBUS videocards to be added, for a total of 3 monitors. Plus space for another SCSI harddrive. So I'd say they were closer to the first than Asus, etc.

douglaskuntz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hm.. I remember the old Apple Powerbook Duo's docking station that had it's own videocard seperate from what the PB Duo had onboard. It also allowed up to 2 NUBUS videocards to be added, for a total of 3 monitors. Plus space for another SCSI harddrive. So I'd say they were closer to the first than Asus, etc.

I like the concept, but it will be expensive (maybe too much) to attach a powerful GPU with a Notebook (power reqs. and special case). Also, we need more details of how they're making it work IMO.

Cheers!

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
This is a good start. Looking forward to user-serviceable docking stations where you can swap the graphics card to whatever is the latest and greatest.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
It's think it's a smart move, because now on there are plenty powerful notebooks out there that could easily handle the PCIe x16 lines, there for with a good CPU and ram running inside, they could even manage to give the buyers a standard docking station for those who want to change GPUs overtime and still be able to play nice games, of course i wouldn't spend much time waiting for that kind of tech, they actually may want to sell more notebooks rather to sell the docking stations my guess. But well.. As I see it gaming notebooks are not as interesting as a desktop PC is for me, too expensive, too much limitations and face it who wants to buy a gaming notebook who will not last longer than 2 years running good games and that will lose about 3/4 of it's initial worth... to resell. Again, I'm seeing this in a gamer who builds his own PC.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
In short: Why not provide an "empty" docking station with a PCIe x16 slot leaving the user at the discretion of installing an optional 5870 or any PCIe based GPU he would desire?

Status
Not open for further replies.