PikkoTekk FPS Supports 1K Simultaneous Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
1k is tiny. There has been a mmofps\sim that supports up to 10k since June 2001. With a seamless battlefield of 380,000 sq\km I play it every day.

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
reminds me of horde vs allince in wow (@EU_darksorrow) just before the release of TBC.. try 500 v 1500.. wow server curhsed

(it was ment to be 40 vs 40, but one side cheated and brought about 450 more friends.. so the other side got pist and brought.. everyone, thihihi legendary server crush)

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Some how if Activision used this, the COD series will still only use 12-18 players because of the Xbox limiting PS3 and PC

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]1k is tiny. There has been a mmofps\sim that supports up to 10k since June 2001. With a seamless battlefield of 380,000 sq\km I play it every day.[/citation]
This isn't an MMO you pinhead, it's an FPS.

dwhapham

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
"This isn't an MMO you Pinhead, Its an FPS"

It's sounds like you are the Pinhead..

Darkfall for example, is a FPS shooter (and also an MMO) and supports up to 10,000 players in one game map.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It's been a long time since I played DAoC, but I seem to remember the game BADLY lagging when you had more than 50 or so people in a single area.

G

Why are people citing MMOs as achieving this accomplishment years ago? We're not talking about MMO worlds. We're talking about a single map in an FPS game. It's quite a bit different, pinheads. Also, this is IN A BROWSER. Not a separate game client.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dwhapham[/nom]"This isn't an MMO you Pinhead, Its an FPS"It's sounds like you are the Pinhead..Darkfall for example, is a FPS shooter (and also an MMO) and supports up to 10,000 players in one game map.[/citation]

He's trying to tell you It's a FPS ONLY game, just All-out war with no objective but to kill the opponent.

Of course MMO's support thousands of players, but think of it as trying to host a Crysis server with 1000 players, it becomes something interesting. nobody want's to hear about a MMO's player limit so why bring it up, we all know almost ALL MMO's support at least 2000 players a server.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]This isn't an MMO you pinhead, it's an FPS.[/citation]
Did you actually read the article or visit the website? The Devs. themselves are describing it as an MMO/FPS. And I quote.
"About one year ago, we were talking with CCP and we came up with this idea that if we made a MMO FPS in Unity, the technical achievement would be of such magnitude that it would even impress random women in bars,"

Cripes. ad homs and all.

G

@sirmorluk
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online. An FPS- ANY FPS- can be an "MMO FPS" if it supports a massive amount of players playing online simultaneously with eachother. MMO also happens to be the abbreviation for "MMORPG." They're obviously not trying to create any sort of RPG, which is why it's just "MMOFPS."
He meant to say "MMORPG," but it's common to see people call them simply MMOs, even though that doesn't describe anything more than a large group of players online together.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]It's been a long time since I played DAoC, but I seem to remember the game BADLY lagging when you had more than 50 or so people in a single area.[/citation]
It did lag with mass amounts of people in one location but that was due to user hardware. I did a few 100 man raids and lagged like crazt then I upgraded my card and lagged no more in raids. DAOC was pretty polished when it came to gameplay.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]This isn't an MMO you pinhead, it's an FPS.[/citation]
FPS means "first person shooter" which basically means the view point you are seeing in game playe which is basically from the head. When you cram lots of people in a playing ground/map it is a MMO. This game is basically a MMO with a first person vantage point which can be done with most MMO's. Like the others said this has been done and is currently being done for quite some time and even on larger scales than just 1k people.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I think where most people are confused is that while it might be one MMO "server" it actually consists of many servers working together to get it done. Generally in most MMOs switching from one zone to another is a switch in servers, and it can be done without a loading screen. So while any given MMO "server" might have well over 1000 people on it the actual servers underneath are never handling anywhere near that many players at any given time.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]erloas[/nom]I think where most people are confused is that while it might be one MMO "server" it actually consists of many servers working together to get it done. Generally in most MMOs switching from one zone to another is a switch in servers, and it can be done without a loading screen. So while any given MMO "server" might have well over 1000 people on it the actual servers underneath are never handling anywhere near that many players at any given time.[/citation]
WW2OL which is a MMO\FPS\Sim with RPG elements has been using clustered server based dynamic seamless cell management for 10 years. I do not see how this is groundbreaking. In fact CRS's engine is called the Unity engine which they developed and who's name is being used by this same company to describe their engine. Regardless the game looks cool and I hope it does well and leads to others using this type foundation for more games/environments to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.