Pimax 8K Kickstarter Backers Probably Won't Get Headsets Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
IMO,

A 90 fps was never mentioned but 90Hz. they referring to SRR per display i think, but since they mentioned "theoretically feasible" i guess that says it all, they cant do it as of now and with todays high end VR headset developers with deeper budget for RnD they too are having a bit of hard time to reach that performance on a dual 4K screen without a use of high end dual GPUs that can render complex 3d with decent FPS enough for the user to ejoy the product which if PIMAX managed to integrate it on their VR headset their product would very much look like MSI's VROne Vr backpack but in a much larger size since they'll be using multi GPU setup.
With their current pricing on PIMAX 8K, chances are its not enough and for sure they're having issues on their hardware setup requirements since they are now lacking budget.

Back to the drawing board Pimax.. I hope u can
pull your product successfully. *Best wishes*

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

That's for the 8K X, and was never considered to be reasonable since the vast majority of VR apps do not take advantage of SLI.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I didn't expect this to ship on time, but Spring is later than expected. I'd still rather have it work better than be delivered on time.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Also the thing is up scaling rather than rendering in 4k per eye. It's actually only rendering at a similar resolution to the Vive and RIFT so current high end hardware should do the job.
I've never seen up scaling in action before since im not a console guy but I've read it's not the best.
Still it should be an improvement over vive and rift.
It will be a while before we see a true 4k VR probably given the hardware required to run such a device.
Dual Titan V would come close as it can run over 60 FPS at 4k in pretty much everything. Of course they are $3k each and can't run SLI.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Their HMD doesn't display native 4k per eye - it's upscaled.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
OK so I'm probably wrong but isn't there no examples of 4K LCD displays operating higher than 60Hz. It's "theoretically feasible" but still no sign.

If this is correct it suddenly makes the project seem rather tenuous in terms of delivering 90Hz displays. I hope I'm wrong.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
>That's for the 8K X, and was never considered to be reasonable since the vast majority of VR apps do not take advantage of SLI.

Was just thinking - does it need to be SLI to power the Pimax?

SLI is using two GPUs to process one display. Is using two GPUs to process two displays in VR different to SLI?

Xzi

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

The input signal is 1440p and it's being upscaled. Even a GTX 1070 I know can drive VR 1440p@90 FPS. Especially if you factor in re-projection techniques.

"Even a GTX 1070 I know can drive VR 1440p@90 FPS"
Ummm...
LOL, No, I don't think you understand how hard it is to push VR...
A resolution like that will only work when you play certain low requirement games.

But, for example:
Doom VFR requires the GTX 1070 as a minimum for 1080x1200 per eye.

Video cards need to get a lot better for 4K per eye VR. OR the game would need to render with very little details. With 4k and photo realistic graphics you'd need something beyond the GTX 1080 Ti

metallican19

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Can't wait for larger fov, and reduced screen-door effect....I've heard pimax8k is like looking through glass into the virtual world ( hard to see/define the pixels w/higher res. )

I was assuming since they were advertising 90 hertz that it was also 90 fps, locked with v-sync.

Tearing would probably kill the vr experience.

Or make you see tears in space and time which is probably also bad.

Was this a wrong assumption?

VR headsets don't use Vsync in the regular sense, but the framerate is locked to refresh.

Regular Vsync input lag would be badly nauseating in VR, as would tearing. Instead they use various types of reprojection if performance is falling short.

Oculus has the most advanced version, called ASW, while Valve didn't even have the more primitive ATW when the Vive launched (but they've at least gotten that far by now). Pimax is talking about "Brainwarp" as their special reprojection tech, but I am not going to put a lot of faith in their promises there. I think it's at best their version of ATW.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's up-scaled and also very wide-FoV. So, it'll probably be like looking through glasses with the wrong prescription into a blurry virtual world.

I don't care about the feeling of total immersion as much as good resolution. I'd gladly trade some FoV for sharper focus.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
It's up-scaled and also very wide-FoV. So, it'll probably be like looking through glasses with the wrong prescription into a blurry virtual world.

Upscaling does not make things blurry. The FOV will likely be an issue for current VR games but presumably that will change if the headset is a success.

It can get pretty blurry on a monitor, due to pixel interpolation.

That's not the case for VR though. And a 1440p picture on a 4K screen is still going to be a considerable improvement over a 1080x1200 picture on a 1080x1200 screen (Rift/Vive).

Resolution isn't the only thing that matters though. It uses an LCD screen rather than OLED, which is a downgrade in terms of persistence and contrast.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Everything they have stated and claimed is due to change since they were only asking for 200k and received 4.2 million. Their budget jumped 20 times their asking to produce what they claim so we may see OLED in final builds of 8K X models, but probably not in the 5k or 8k. We also may see a 5K X model with OLED. Refresh Rate: 75/90 Hz per eye(Support 150/180 Hz with Brainwarp) via their website and say a 980 or 1070 to drive it lol we shall see.

Here is something Pimax says about their choice in clpl aka LCD.

Answer to why Pimax did not use OLED in their 8k headset

submitted 3 months ago by allocenx

Quoted from facebook:

"Pimax That's a very good question. We use customized low persistence liquid (CLPL) display. CLPL is a new patented display tech we developed with our partner for VR specifically. CLPL Display featured with less liquid respond time and higher refresh rate. We have completely eliminated ghosting and improved brightness with the CLPL display. CLPL tech is on the same level with OLED in VR era. There are only minor differences in color contrast/temperature between CLPL and OLED, also, CLPL can reach higher PPI / PPD with the same cost. Our founders have over 20 years R&D experience in display era, including many years in VR. Some of the core team members come from display industry and maintain close relationships with display suppliers. That's also one of the reasons why we care about visual so much."

I am also excited about LG's VR headset. The headset uses a single 3.64-inch LG screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, or 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye. Either way my Oculus bugs the crap out of me with the SDE it is to fuzzy for my liking and I hear it is clearer than Vive. I honestly feel my 1080ti still has some hidden performance potential that Nvidia has yet to unlock with better drivers to alleviate the worry of VR performance.

:ouch: WOW! Hope you're getting the good one (8K X version) with a video card setup like that!
Bravo! It may actually run well!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Blurry or aliasing. Take your pick. Personally, I'd (reluctantly) go with blurry.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Right, because VR is magic.

Not after you double the FoV.

Status
Not open for further replies.