Question Pin missing solder/RAM issue

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
As stated by the title, one of the pins on my motherboard is (currently) missing solder on it , to be precise , its one of the pins on my DIMM slot (b2) on the underside of the board. I've only noticed it now , so im not sure if its been that way since the begining or not, but the board has been working for last 4-5~ish years or so. So far i manage to use the PC with "no" issues , although only in single-channel mode.

Motherboard: Asus H170M-E D3
CPU : Intel I5-6500
RAM : HyperX FURY Memory Red - 8GB Module - DDR3 1600MT/s CL10 DIMM

The reason i noticed is , because recently after opening the pc up to clean the outside fans a little , the pc stopped booting when using b1/b2 RAM slots.
To solve that so far what i've done is :
- replug a bunch of stuff on the board including : gpu , cpu , ram cards, both drives,power cables leading to the motherboard (which i suspect might be the cause for the missing solder as the 20+4 connector is particularly hard to get in fully , which has caused the board to bend a bit, even though I tried stuffing something under it (avoiding bending pins).
- taken the bios battery out both shortly and for a longer period
- reset bios using the pins

The RAM cards work with no issues, when plugged in either a1/a2/both slots, otherwise with ANY plugged into either b1/b2 the pc does not POST, only the fans spin. I've also checked the CPU using intel's diagnostic tools, which showed no issues, same with RAM using memtest86 ALTHOUGH i paused the test on 2nd pass and i've gotten 3 beeps which seemed odd because the tests themselves shown no errors/issues.

To summarise, one of the pins on my DIMM slot is missing solder, and it happens that neither that slot or the slot that its paired with won't let the pc POST. What i would like to ask is whether that pin could cause BOTH dimm slots issues, and whether it would be safe to just, re-solder the pin as is.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
I suggest that you take a couple of photographs showing the subject solder joint as closely and clearly as possible.

Post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
Will get to it tomorrow morning as its awfuly annoying to take the pc out at this time, although what i can say is that the pins are alright, its literally just the solder missing.
Will be back with images though.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
Fair enough.

I did a bit of googling and found these images:

Solder points image

Solder points image #2

May or may not be a match to your motherboard but the images ( or other similar images) may prove helpful.

Especially to perhaps determine if the solder was originally there or not.
Yeah, after looking at these im 100% sure there should be solder there.
Would that prevent posting even if ram is not directly in the slot with missing solder ? I figured it'd just throw a memory error instead.
And, if there's supposed to be solder there , would it be alright to just re-solder it myself ?

Ralston18

Titan
Posting:

I do not know. If the missing solder means some absent voltage, current, resistance, etc. (for whatever purpose) that the motherboard is expecting to see then I could understand a failure to post.

And the hope that whatever the cause or reason for the solder going missing did not cause other unseen damage.

Soldering:

Perhaps: key being your soldering skills and the extent to which there is "nothing more to lose".

The repair would need a very small amount of the correct solder precisely applied in the right spot.

Without causing other solder joints to be damaged.

In lieu of soldering:

Conductive expoxy example

There may be other ideas and suggestions. Wait a bit.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
To keep the update up.
I've decided to re-solder the pin. Will update sometime later today on whether this fixes the issue or not.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
To keep the update up.
I've decided to re-solder the pin. Will update sometime later today on whether this fixes the issue or not.
It did, in fact, let me boot up windows after adding some solder on the pin. And after checking with CPU-Z it is in fact running at the right frequency